Through personal experience, professor makes a difference

People take on many roles in their lives.
Single mother of two, professor, co-director for BraveHearts, project coordinator for the social work programs in Lee County and cancer survivor are only some of the roles Angie Burque takes on everyday.
Sitting in a mountain full of BraveHearts paperwork that take up half her office in the Haley Center, Burque is no stranger to being overwhelmed by her life.
But, she takes a simple approach to her workload.
"It needs to happen," Burque said. "If I'm not doing it, will it happen? I don't have a lot of times where I have to convince myself to do something because that's what I'm here to do."
Burque started BraveHearts, an organization for teens and young adults with special needs in 2010 because she saw a hole in the need for programs for her son, Drew, who has autism.
"(BraveHearts) was to create a safe, positive place for teenagers and young adults that have moderate to severe disabilities and for that place to be there for them to express themselves and create things that are the outcomes of their efforts, as well as have social interactions," Burque said.
Burque shines like a light in a dark room in the lives of the teens at BraveHearts two times per month at the Opelika Sportsplex, where BraveHearts activities are held.
Burque said BraveHearts is fortunate enough to be able to use the space in the Opelika Sportsplex for free.
"I want a little space of the world to be a little bit better than it was for my being a part of it," Burque said. "I don't need my name attached to it. I just need and want for that little space to be a little kinder and a little more understanding and more affective interacting with a population that is awesome, but so invisible in a lot of ways."
Burque said she always had the passionate desire to help others outside of the "circle" become inside the "circle."
Starting as a cheerleader in junior high and high school, Burque was already showing her maternal instincts.
"If you were a cheerleader, you were a cheerleader for the whole school," Burque said. "I was very driven to be a good cheerleader, so I could touch and include and acknowledge all those other little subgroups in the school that may be invisible because they aren't the 'best group.'"
A few years ago, Burque gave her 18-year-old son a camera to express himself through taking photos.
Since then, Drew has been opening up his world to his mother.
"I would be able to know a little bit more about what's going on in his head," Burque said. "He's very talented. He has a really good eye for pictures."
The lit up Ferris wheel at a festival in Dothan is only one of the many pictures Drew has taken.
Drew's picture is sitting in Burque's memory box located on her bookshelf in her office.
Although the office is cluttered with paperwork and books, Burque found the picture of the Ferris wheel almost immediately as if she shows people her son's artwork everyday.
In response to Drew's photography, BraveHearts will incorporate a photo gallery at the end of each year to display the teens' artistic talents.
"We're starting a traveling photo exhibit," Burque said. "It's open to anyone who wants to come. We're hoping sometime in the next year to find another venue, like the Student Center. It's a look into their unique self."
BraveHearts is also looking to get a few iPads so the members can increase their musical range with Garage Band.
Although still living through the affects of chemotherapy treatment from earlier in 2013, Burque never speaks of her struggles in a negative way.
"That's just what life is for me," Burque said. "It's the best of the human condition for those who are capable to work for and look out for vulnerable populations and those who have a much smaller voice."
Danilea Werner, BraveHearts co-director and colleague of Burque, said it's easy to work with Burque because she's so passionate about BraveHearts.
"Her passion is contagious," Werner said. "I'm constantly amazed at how she gets everything done. When you talk about hard work and passion, you can learn about that from her."
Lee Anne Brantley, junior in social work and BraveHearts volunteer, said Burque does a phenomenal job at taking on her many roles on a daily basis.
"She has so much going on, and she contributes in so many ways to teach and provide for the less fortunate," Brantley said. "She has made an impact on the University and the community."
Burque learns lessons from her grandfather, who continued laying bricks for a living even after he lost one of his arms.
Burque said she looks at life simply.
"We can't control everything in life," Burque said. "Life is going to be difficult and some people are going to have more degrees of difficulty than others. But we can chose to try to become the best that we can in whatever circumstance that we're in."

Share and discuss “Through personal experience, professor makes a difference” on social media.