City Council approves affordable housing, announces Forbes recognition

The Auburn City Council kept the meeting short this week, but long-range plans to reach out to the community were at the top of the list.
The Foresite Group asked for an amended conditional use approval so they may begin construction on an affordable housing community.
The community would be located east of Shelton Mill Road and south of Grace Ridge Drive, where another affordable housing community stands. Auburn First Assembly of God owns the 12 acres where the new housing would be located.
Forrest Cotton, planning director for the City of Auburn, said Foresite plans to begin construction as soon as possible.
"It is going to be 56 units, 112 bedrooms and will be on one parcel, but essentially a duplex," Cotton said. "It is geared primarily toward the senior citizen demographic."
Approval for the building was initially granted 18 months ago, but the ruling has since lapsed.
"When they've gone before us and have gone before the planning commission and it's not pushing anybody's buttons, we usually will give them re-approval," Councilmember Bob Norman said.
The area surrounding the site is low income, and city representatives believe would be a beneficial place to construct affordable housing.
"It's obviously a continued need," Mayor Ham said. "We try to meet the need for those in our community who aren't able to provide for themselves."
Approval for the housing was unanimous.
According to City Manager, Charlie Duggan, there is already an affordable housing unit in the area, at Grace Ridge. The name of the new unit has not been released.

Also discussed in City Council:

Council approved a reasonable fixed cost for the abatement of weeds at 1389 East University Drive. The cost will be $320.46

The Public Works department submitted a resolution for a contract for the emergency purchase of a fuel management system. Council approval is needed for costs over 15,000.

The cost of the Fuel Management System would be 29,470.20. It was approved.

Council approval was needed to authorize payment for the Indian Pines Entrance Pipe Replacement Project. The project will run $20,805.75 and the contract is with Beehive Construction.

Mayor Ham announced that Auburn has garnered the title of exceptional quality of life by Forbes Magazine.
Forbes will release tomorrow that Auburn is in the Top 25 Best Places to Retire in 2014

Share and discuss “City Council approves affordable housing, announces Forbes recognition” on social media.