Gotcha rides offers free rides on and off campus

Many people know about the free transportation the Tiger Transit and the Security Shuttle Auburn University offers to its students, but many people seem to overlook another free source of transportation.
Gotcha Ride provides custom-made golf carts that aid to college students, completely free of charge. The company originated at Florida State University five years ago and has been around in Auburn for the past three years.
Gotcha Ride services are also now located at Georgia Tech, the University of Alabama, Clemson University, North Carolina State and plan to continue spreading.
The advertisements that cover the outside of the carts funds for the business and is what allows the rides to be free.
Tom Hopf, senior in accounting, is the manager for Gotcha Ride at Auburn and has been driving for Gotcha Ride for two and half years.
"We can wrap the entire vehicle with a sponsor," Hopf said. "We also have TV sets on the back of headrests that show advertisements."
There are currently three carts available for Auburn students to use during the day and night.
The cart runs Monday-Thursday from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. and runs until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.
"Our busiest times are definitely at night on Wednesday and Friday," Hopf said. "Probably from 10 p.m. at night until the end of the night, it stays pretty steady."
Football weekends are known to be the most chaotic for Gotcha Ride, according to Hopf, and receive around 80 calls during game days.
Gotcha Rides are able to go anywhere where the speed limit does not exceed 35 mph.
The carts are able to hold up to five people at a time and even supply seat belts.
"They are golf carts and we want to make sure we stay safe on the road," Hopf said.
Every driver must be at least 21 years old and is required to have a background check to make sure they have not had any incidents in the past three years.
Patrick Craig Stewart, sophomore in engineering, experienced his first ride in a Gotcha cart on Wednesday afternoon.
"I've heard of them before," Stewart said. "I would definitely use it, provided it was immediately in sight. It wouldn't necessarily be my first thought when I needed to call something."
This semester is the first time Gotcha Ride has provided rides for students during the day fulltime.
They have had 40-50 customers per day, so far, according to Hopf.
"We're hoping it'll pick up the more people realize that it is free," Hopf said. "Hopefully we can start going further out, than just campus. So far most of the rides are just between buildings on campus. We can actually pick people up and bring them to class."
Many people that have heard about Gotcha Ride, but have not used it find it hard to believe that it is free.
Alex Jardine, freshman in business, along with a friend, came across a Gotcha Ride Wednesday night for the first time.
"We know what it is, but we don't really use it," Jardine said. "We haven't really heard much about it. If I had the number and I knew all about it, I would use it. I thought there was a catch at first, honestly."
Auburn's Gotcha Ride service is looking to make future upgrades.
They are going to be purchasing a whole new fleet of carts and will be hiring more drivers.

Share and discuss “Gotcha rides offers free rides on and off campus” on social media.