Is Snapchat worth the risk?

Are mobile apps and credit cards worth the possibility of hacking and identity theft?

Hackers are getting better, where is the security?
Everything from money to relationships has moved online, but online security is moving a little slower.
Snapchat is an app used for sharing quick photos and videos that are erased forever after an allotted time, or at least that's how it is advertised.
Hackers recently shared 4.6 million names, phone numbers and pictures they stole from Snapchat.
"We are sorry for any problems this issue may have caused you, and we really appreciate your patience and support," the company said in a blog post Thursday morning.
Even a week after their apology, many Auburn students hadn't heard about the hack.
When Allie Heckel, senior in public relations, heard about the hack she said, "Blame it on my inner Millennial, but some hacker knowing my username and phone number doesn't really bother me."
Patrick Murphy, junior in industrial design said, "I mean, it's worth the risk for me because I only send selfies and stuff. I don't have anything important on there."
To some, losing their phone number to hackers is more of an annoyance than a matter of personal security, but the world is relying on the Internet more heavily every day and security is lagging behind.
"We just need the good guys to catch up with the bad guys," Heckel said. "To be honest, I put all my Christmas money in a book. I don't trust anyone else with it."
Heckel's fear was realized in December when more than 70 million people's information was stolen from Target's databases. Hackers obtained credit and debit card numbers and caused many credit card companies to issue new cards to their customers.
According to USA Today, many people have stopped shopping at Target following the breach, and if they do, many are choosing to pay in cash.
Grace Howard, junior in biomedical sciences, was worried about the breach but said it wasn't going to affect her money habits.
"It bothers me, but I'll definitely still use my debit card," Howard said. "The great thing about knowing where you are on your money is that you notice when something's off and can report it."
When money isn't involved, however, security isn't on the forefront of people's minds, especially when using apps like Snapchat.
"It's just good to physically see people and the funny things going on in their day," Howard said.
Murphy said he liked Snapchat because it felt more like a conversation by seeing people's faces, but when they're gone, they're gone.
"I think most of us are just used to having no privacy," Heckel said. "People have been telling us all our lives how there is nothing private on the Internet and how dangerous it all is. So, when we hear about a hack or something, it just doesn't surprise us. It does worry me when they start stealing people's money, though."
Snapchat and Target are only a couple companies that have recently gotten hacked. So, as 2014 begins, closer attention to cyber security might not be a bad idea.

Share and discuss “Is Snapchat worth the risk?” on social media.