Annual Love Your Heart Run and Crank Your Heart Ride this Saturday at Chewacla Park

Love Your Heart Run 2014
Love Your Heart Run 2014

The 25th-annual Love Your Heart Run and 7th annual Crank Your Heart Ride will be Saturday, Feb. 22, at Chewacla State Park.
Jessie King, director of communication for createTWO, the nonprofit behind the race, said she checked the weather, and she's sure it will be a bright and beautiful day.
Runners may choose either a 1-mile or 10k race up and through Chewacla's mountains while admiring spectacular views of the park.
The Love Your Heart Run began in 1989 as a race for heart patients at East Alabama Medical Center and works as Exceptional Outreach Organization's single fundraiser.
Nine years ago, EAMC passed the race off to createTWO.
Seven years ago, createTWO added the Crank Your Heart Ride as a way to broaden the reach of the Exceptional Outreach Organization's fundraising efforts.
Cyclists can select a 3.5-, 11- or 22-mile route.
Commemorating the Love Your Heart Run's 25th anniversary, a dedicated group of individuals who have been involved since the race's inception will act as Grand Marshalls to start the race.
The race came the Chewalca because of safety reasons, King said.
King said the roads inside the Chewalca are conducive for runners and cyclists because Chewalca's road's never have traffic. Traffic will be closed within the park.
"Chewacla is a spectacular location we are lucky to have in Auburn," King said. "It has beautiful weather spring, summer, winter or fall."
King said the race has, on average, approximately 500 participants with a high of 680 people.
The race raises $15,000 a year for Best Buddies of Auburn, Special Olympics of Lee County and the summer therapeutic camp.
The EOO supports children and adults with various intellectual and developmental disabilities through therapeutic programs. Individuals gain important practical and social skills, experience new activities and make lifelong friends.
To register, visit Loveyourheartrun.com or email exceptionaloutreachorg@gmail.com.

Share and discuss “Annual Love Your Heart Run and Crank Your Heart Ride this Saturday at Chewacla Park” on social media.