Heart of Auburn introduces Uncle Maddio's and Taziki's to South College Street

The Heart of Auburn development on South College Street will now include a new twist on an old college-diet original.
Uncle Maddio’s Pizza Joint opens in early April, introducing build-your-own pizza to Auburn.
“It’s a similar concept to Moe’s Southwest,” said Michael DiChiara, owner and manager of Auburn’s Uncle Maddio’s. “You come in, you go down the line and you watch us actually build your pizza from the ingredients that you’re looking at.”
After six minutes in the oven, the pizza is brought out. DiChiara said he is counting on students’ input to plan promotional specials.
“We want to hear from students about the drink specials we will have on beer and wine,” DiChiara said. “We are trying to really cater to students and what they want to have.”
Ideas include Thursday trivia nights and drink specials, according to DiChiara.
Uncle Maddio’s will look to students for employees. DiChiara expects to hire an above average number of part-time staff members because of the limited times students are available to work.
Auburn is saturated with pizza places, from Mellow Mushroom and Little Italy downtown, to Johnny Brusco's on East University Drive; but Megan McDowen, deputy economic development director, said she believes Auburn has the room.
The former location of the Heart of Auburn Hotel now holds a CVS. Uncle Maddio’s and a Birmingham-based Greek restaurant Taziki’s will soon fill the empty business spaces neighboring the new CVS.
McDowen said she believes adding the CVS may have generated interest in the Heart of Auburn building and said development had much to due with its proximity to campus was also a draw. DiChiara said she believes the location will help draw customers to the new businesses.
“It’s almost like being downtown,” DiChiara said. “But we actually have parking where people can get in.”
McDowen also said she believes being walking distance from students, faculty and staff will be the key to success for the new businesses.
Katie Knell, sophomore in apparel merchandising, said she usually chooses Mellow Mushroom when deciding where to get pizza. However, Knell said she believes Auburn has enough room for more pizza restaurants.
“I think [Uncle Maddio’s] will be a fine edition,” Knell said. “It’ll be another way to create community in Auburn.”
Johnny Brusco's New York Style Pizza owner, Kevin Bobo, said he was not concerned about the new competition.
“Obviously, it’s going to have a little bit of an effect,” Bobo said. “But at the same time, restaurants open everyday in this town, so I don’t see it being too big of a deal.”
Auburn is growing, and interest in new developments, such the rennovated Heart of Auburn, show the city is an attractive option for small business owners, McDowen said.
“It is just a really thriving place,” DiChiara said. “It’s a great place to live. It’s got an SEC school. Everybody is very tied-in and pro Auburn. Once you embrace that Auburn side of things, you really feel like you are part of the University.”

Share and discuss “Heart of Auburn introduces Uncle Maddio's and Taziki's to South College Street” on social media.