Lee County Historical Society takes the cake

The Lee County Historical Society mixes up tradition in the best possible way with its annual Heritage Cake Contest.
The LCHS's fourth annual Heritage Cake Contest and Tasting Party will take place Saturday, Feb. 8, in the Trade Center Museum in Loachapoka.
For a cake to be registered, it needs to be from a recipe at least 100 years old or spanning three generations.
The LCHS was founded in 1986 with a goal to preserve and restore the history of East Alabama.
The Society is made up primarily of volunteers who want to educate others about the region's rich history.
Peggy Mitchell will lead the contest this year.
"This is my first year with the contest, but we are hoping to have a large turnout," Mitchell said. "We have three judges lined up and have plenty of people available to help with registration."
Plenty of volunteers are available to help during the cutting of the cakes. Mitchell and her husband, Charlie, both plan to enter the contest.
Mitchell will make an old-fashioned chocolate cake and her husband, a jam cake.
"We don't care if we win," Mitchell said. "We just want to have a lot of cakes entered."
Deborah McCord is the board secretary of the LCHS.
"We have had a great turnout over the years and expect to have a great turnout this year because of the small entrance fee," McCord said.
Each cake's recipe must have documentation to ensure it meets the qualifications of a "heritage cake," or one passed down through a family for generations, according to McCord.
Last year's winning cake was fruitcake.
Following the contest, a tasting party will be open to the public where every person can try the different treats for $1 each.
Coffee will also be served, and carry out boxes will be provided.
Proceeds from the event go to LCHS's Pioneer Park.
The park has buildings such as a log cabin, barn and doctor's office all sitting on more than six acres in Loachapoka.
Panera Bread is sponsoring the contest. The entrance fee is $5 and anyone is welcome to enter a cake in the contest.
To enter the Heritage Cake contest, contact the LCHS at 334-887-3007 or look up their website at Leecountyhistoricalsociety.org.

Share and discuss “Lee County Historical Society takes the cake” on social media.