Rise of online test banks bail students out of studying

The general perception may be that utilizing online test banks are a form of cheating. The truth? As long as graded tests weren't stolen and were handed back to students by professors, they're completely legal.
In recent years, students are utilizing online test banks as a study tool, and, as a result, more websites are being created for this purpose.
Bobby Douglass, senior in civil engineering, has played a central role in the making of one of these online test banks, auburntestbanks.com.
After talking the idea over with his brother-in-law, with whom he co-founded the website, they decided to implement an interactive software that allow students to take tests.
"I am in a fraternity, and my fraternity never had a test bank or anything like that," Douglass said. "Through social networking, I would always try for some of the more major classes, like the History 1010. I never had a golden test bank to go through and rely on or anything of that sort."
Other students in fraternities and sororities often have access to another form of online test banks that allow them to view PDF files.
Tatum Brown, sophomore in pre-pharmacy, said she heard about a test bank website through her sorority and has used the test bank to prepare for some of her classes.
"I've had an exam that was similar in the format, but not really the same questions," Brown said. "My biology teacher last year actually copied a lot of the same questions, so it was helpful to use an online test bank."
While Brown found access to the online test banks helpful, some professors say the usage of these test aren't always an accurate way of studying.
"To a great standard, it doesn't help them that much if they have my old exams, but I don't turn my exams loose anyway," said Joseph Vonasek, assistant professor in political science.
"I'll go over them with a student if they want to see how they did on a particular question," Vonasek said. You can come to my office, and I will whip it out and show it to you and explain why you got graded the way you did."
Kathryn Davidson, sophomore in nutrition and diabetics, also said the idea of test banks take away from the learning aspect of going to class.
"When I used it for biology I basically just memorized every question on it," Davison said. "So it's more memorization, not really learning."
Some students also assert that the availability of test banks encourage the tendency to skip classes.
"I think it gives people a reason not to go to classes," Brown said. "I used to never go to biology because all you had to do was study the old tests and you would make an A on the tests."
Culture among college-level students today demands more than generations in the past. They're expected not only to attain a 4.0 GPA, but also involve themselves in extracurricular activities while maintaining a social life.
The combination of these expectations may limit the time students have for studying, making test banks an appealing alternative to studying.However, Vonasek said test preparation should be one of the main objectives of attending college.
"I would insist that the objective of going to college at all is to get an education," Vonasek said. "The [studying aspect of the] testing process is part of that."

Share and discuss “Rise of online test banks bail students out of studying” on social media.