Wrapsody's "funky and fun" eclectic style welcomes local customers

Sarah Brown and Terry Shea smile outside their Auburn store (Emily Enfinger / PHOTOGRAPHER)

Helping customers at the counter, Sarah Brown appears at home. In essence, she is.
Ten years ago, Brown met Terry Shea. A friend of a friend, Brown and Shea were making small talk at a luncheon when Brown made an offhand comment.
Brown voiced an idea she had for years about opening up a trendy gift store in Birmingham. The two hit it off, and a year later, Wrapsody was born.
Brown grew up in Auburn. She went to school here, and it has always been home. She went to Auburn University and met her husband here. She graduated in 1994 with a degree in health administration and political science. The Browns had three children and work moved them to Birmingham.
Five years after Wrapsody took off in Hoover, Brown's family moved back to their home in Auburn.
In 2009, Heartstrings, a gift and home decor shop, decided to close its doors downtown. Brown worked at the store during college and maintained a close relationship with the owners, who were looking to retire and close the business.
Brown and Shea decided to expand Wrapsody to Auburn, where Brown would manage the new store. They maintain contact via FaceTime and Skype, where she can be "walked" around the Hoover store and see all of the displays.
"It is difficult for two women to open and maintain a business because no one takes you seriously without money and experience," Brown said. "It worked out well with me and Terry. She handles the operational aspects of the business while my passion is the visual and marketing."
Brown has an eye for decor. She strives to be "funky and fun" at the same time, while bringing an eclectic style to the store. She believes in an "ah-ha" moment and wants every customer to enter the store and have a moment that inspires them.
"We appreciate our customers, and we always try to give them something different and unique to buy when they come in the store," Shea said.
Brown picks out every item inside the store, a tough job to do while raising three children and attending their baseball games. She has one at Auburn High, one at Auburn Junior High and one at Drake Middle School.
"Shea and I go to different markets during the year and we like to pick out things with stories," Brown said. "We like companies who are passionate about their work and are doing good things."
Brown believes in companies that strive to improve their community and support local artists by featuring their work in the store.
Brown said she sees Auburn as a great community with good and genuine people. Brown serves her community the best way she can by bringing in a breath of fresh air with her eclectic style and ever-changing gift shop.

Share and discuss “Wrapsody's "funky and fun" eclectic style welcomes local customers” on social media.