Committee of 19 show the slums of the world on campus

(Emily Enfinger / Photographer)
(Emily Enfinger / Photographer)

The Committee of 19 will be displaying a representation of slum conditions in third world countries on the concourse March 24 through the 28.
Lydia Bowman, junior in biomedical sciences, is the secretary for the committee of 19 and is one of the workers for the event.
"We're trying to simulate what a slum life might be like in developing countries," Bowman said. "We have four different regions represented. We also have things like healthcare and sex trafficking being shown here. We're basically trying to educate Auburn students about how one billion people around the world live in conditions like these and how that's very related to the prevalence of hunger and other issues."
All of the proceeds will go to the East Alabama Food Bank, the Backpack Program.
Along with the Committee of 19, Servants In Faith and Technology (SIFAT) are also raising awareness about the slum conditions throughout the world.
Abbye Clevenger, an intern for SIFAT, worked at the event by selling fair trade products to raise money.
"SIFAT is an organization that exists to help community leaders meet their three basic needs of food, water and shelter, but also, they have program that help youth," Clevenger said. "We take them through assimilated slum and village and show them how the rest of the world lives."
So far, students have been responding well to the event, according to Bowman.
"I'm hoping more students can come by and actually talk to us so we can give them our flyers and tell them more information about it," Bowman said.

Share and discuss “Committee of 19 show the slums of the world on campus” on social media.