Earthfest celebrates environmental awareness with music for students and community

(Emily Enfinger / Photographer)
(Emily Enfinger / Photographer)

"It's like Auburn's own little version of Woodstock," said Jack Gray, senior in electrical engineering of the 2014 Earthfest held March 22 at the Donald E. Davis Arboretum.
Last year, Gray participated as part of the entertainment on one of last year's two stages.
This year, four stages entertained guests with music, improv and some dancing, all arranged by the Environmental Awareness Organization (EAO).
A committee of 15 lead by EAO President Garrett Kizer, junior in English and Professional Writing and EAO Vice President Sydney Willig, junior in organismal and integrative biology, took on the event, and they say the turn out has been more than worth it.
For Kizer and Willig, this is only the second Earthfest they've ever been to, but Kizer took on the work because he understood it as an Auburn tradition.
For all the work he has done, his pay off is to just to say "me and my friends did this."
The duo estimates approximately 1,000 attendees to this 2014 Earthfest.
The role of Earthfest works to amplify the message given by the EAO who want to provide a more sustainable environment through information.
"I never been to an event where I could just meet people in the community," said Earthfest rookie, Jordan Wilson, junior in apparel merchandising-production design and management. "It's been an excellent day."
Rosa Cantrell, president of Auburn's Real Food Challenge, said she agreed this is a rare opportunity for like-minded to meet and enjoy themselves.
"It think it's cool," Cantrell said. "I've heard people ask, 'where are these people during the week.' There have been a lot of connections."

Share and discuss “Earthfest celebrates environmental awareness with music for students and community” on social media.