Local downtown boutiques keep up with the competition with social media

Today, the majority of our social interaction happens online through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blogs and even online dating websites.
So, why should shopping be any exception? In a time where we seclude ourselves with our smartphones and computer screens, online shopping is a rising trend.
Clothing and fashion stores around Auburn aren't naive to this modern shopping style. Many shops in the downtown area direct most of their consumers' attention to their respective websites, Facebook pages, Twitter feeds and Instagram accounts.
And even though most of these stores and boutiques are in walking distance of campus, students and Auburn residents still choose to shop from the comfort of their own homes.
Gwen Baer, senior in public relations and marketing and public relations intern at Ellie clothing boutique, said Ellie customers choose to shop online because of the personable relationship she and her coworkers have instituted through their store's Internet persona.
Since the store's re-launching of its website last fall, Baer said they have added their own personal touch to their customers' online shopping experience.
"When we ship out clothes on the website, we include a personal handwritten note and wrap it (ourselves)," Baer said. "The whole point about it being Ellie is that we're all friends, and we want to treat people that way, on the website like we do in the store."
Almost all of the smaller boutiques around the main campus, including Therapy and Private Gallery, have various social media accounts to try to build a similarly personal relationship with their followers like they do with their in-store customers.
Although it stems from a larger, worldwide company, the Gap store is no exception from this style of business.
Dee Darden, assistant store manager at Gap, said most people come into this store to shop, but that she and her coworkers encourage people to visit their Facebook page and Twitter feed.
"We try to post our daily deals so that people know what's going on in the store from wherever they are," Darden said. "We use social media mostly to get those [in-store deals and promotions] out to the public."
Others stores, such as Behind the Glass, don't have a website, but that doesn't keep people from shopping their wide selection of clothing and accessories in the store.
We live in an age where social media is a key tool for communication. We follow, share, re-tweet, favorite, like, poke and direct message, and the stores around downtown Auburn are jumping on the bandwagon.
With strong, personal online interactions that mirror their equally personal in-store experience, it's no surprise that online shopping is on the rise on the Plains.

Share and discuss “Local downtown boutiques keep up with the competition with social media” on social media.