Addams Family Musical Comedy to perform in Opelika on May 11

(Contributed by Phillip Aleman)
(Contributed by Phillip Aleman)

One of the nation's most beloved and creepy families are coming to Opelika for a night of music, drama and Uncle Fester.
The Addams Family Musical Comedy will feature a new original storyline and old family favorites.
The children are all grown up, and Wednesday has fallen in love with a "normal" boy. The Addams family reacts as expected. The two are secretly engaged and Wednesday confides only in her father, Gomez. He then must keep the secret from his wife, Morticia. Relationships in the family become strained by the secret and once the boy's family meets the Addams, chaos ensues.
The Broadway show has been touring since September 2013 and will perform at the Opelika Center for the Performing Arts Sunday, May 11, at 7:30 p.m.
"They will perform here under the sponsorship of the Arts Association of East Alabama," said Phillip Preston, the director of the AAEA. "For more information and tickets people can check our website at Eastalabamaarts.org."
The cast is made up of seasoned Broadway actors who have spent months touring internationally. They have performed in across the United States, including Alaska, and in Asia.
KeLeen Snowgren plays Morticia Addams and has starred in productions such as Hairspray, The Producers, The Will Rogers Follies and Beauty and the Beast.
"Playing Morticia is a challenge," Snowgren said. "All of these great people have played her before, and people have in their head how they want her to be portrayed. She's a great character. I just love her."
Snowgren's blonde hair and blue eyes are transformed into more shadowy shades as she takes on the dark and lovely Morticia.
Snowgren, who has been involved in the Broadway circuit since 2005, only got into Broadway when a friend forced her to audition.
"I moved to New York after I graduated college and my best friend pushed me to try out for The Will Rogers Follies," Snowgren said. "I didn't even know what to do, but he told me to go big and I did and booked the part."
Snowgren said the difference of performing in front of an American audience and an Asian audience is mainly due to comedy.
"They don't laugh at the same things we do," Snowgren said. "They thought all the relationships between characters were hilarious, whereas we laugh at the word play."
Snowgren has developed a close relationship with the female actors in the Addams Family cast, especially with Wednesday, played by Jennifer Fogarty, and Grandma, played by Amanda Bruton.
The crew goes out for drinks together and plays pool, trying to keep a normal nightlife while on the road.
The cast performs eight shows a week and two on each weekend day.
"While everyone is relaxing on the weekends, those are our toughest days," Snowgren said.
Snowgren said the show is full of comedic relief and will provide a lot of laughs and a lot of entertainment.
"The laughter of the audience is always my favorite," Snowgren said. "It always makes me feel great to know what I'm doing on stage is making people laugh."

Share and discuss “Addams Family Musical Comedy to perform in Opelika on May 11” on social media.