Local businesses provide discounts for students on a budget

When it comes to a typical Auburn student's budget, the flexibility is almost nonexistent.
A multitude of aspects tear a tiny budget in many different directions. Auburn estimated student expenses for the year of 2013-2014, with the total cost of an in-state resident being $28,098 and non-resident being $44,610.
However, that only accounts for tuition, room and board, books, "personal" and transportation.
The student need to save money resonates with a few local businesses that offer special student discounts to offset the costs.
On campus, the Tiger Card helps alleviate the student struggle. On campus residents have $995 per semester, with money rolling over only after the fall semester. Off campus residents are required to have at least $300. But with on campus meals adding up to around $10, the money goes by fast.
The on-campus Auburn University Bookstore offers student discounts on certain software. Lauren Jones, who works at the Tech Desk, specified that they are not able to sell a lot of the software they used to discount.
"We offer a lot of the Adobe features, like Acrobat, Creative Cloud and White Room," Jones said. "We offer students the yearly subscription for $199 when the regular price is usually $49.99 per month."
That totals up to $599.88 per year.
Auburn now offers all of the Microsoft Office programs free to download exclusively for Auburn students and employees.
As for around town, business such as the Carmike Wynnsong theatre and Express Oil Change on South College also offer discounts for students.
With a student I.D., Carmike will give you a discounted admission Sunday through Thursday for $7.75 and Friday and Saturday for $8.25. And as part of their Stimulus Tuesdays, it is $2 popcorn and drinks.
At Express Oil Change, manager Tony Whitman gives students a discount.
"It they come in with their student I.D., we will usually take $3.00 off on an oil change," Whitman said.
Tan Sublime, beside Shug Book Store, gives students 10%off any service or product in store.
In Opelika, Scutter Putters Mini Golf and More offers students 18 holes for $5.00 with unlimited for only $2 extra.
"It's about a dollar off the usual price," Scutter Putters employee Doug Long said. "We usually get a lot of students come in on Fridays and Saturdays."
Each of these locations require a valid student I.D. to be present to receive a discount, and members of the Student Alumni Association also receive special offers and coupons around town.
Remember, asking stores if they have a student discount is always a good way to save some money in Auburn.

Share and discuss “Local businesses provide discounts for students on a budget” on social media.