OPINION: High expectations, high rewards ahead for the 2014 Tigers

Ah, spring.
It's time for warmer weather and even warmer takes about the upcoming college football season.
After their unbelievable run to the final BCS National Championship Game last season, Gus Malzahn's Tigers will most likely start this season as SEC and national title contenders.
The pieces are there--breakout quarterback Nick Marshall received a full offseason of extra practices, a majority of Auburn's offensive starters are back and an athletic defense has another campaign of experience.
Sure, the Tigers will have to find replacements for Heisman finalist Tre Mason, potential Top-5 NFL Draft selection Greg Robinson and Senior Bowl MVP Dee Ford.
However, Auburn returns senior running backs Cameron Artis-Payne and Corey Grant, along with a constantly impressive Peyton Barber as part of the nation's top rushing attack.
Teammates say Shon Coleman, a potential for Greg Robinson at left tackle, is as twice as strong as one of the most physically dominant players in this year's draft class.
Auburn's defensive staff rotated along the defensive line last season, and former blue-chip recruits Elijah Daniel and Carl Lawson could be important edge rushers in place of Ford. The Tigers have also worked on an intimidating all-defensive tackle set known as the "Rhino" package.
While these new starters could be strengths in 2014, there are still some question marks surrounding them.
Unlike in 2013, Malzahn's team will not take anyone teams by surprise in 2014. New rival coach Bret Bielema already has his Arkansas Razorbacks game-planning for their season-opening trip to Jordan-Hare Stadium.
The Tigers will now have the targets on their backs.
Auburn will also have a tough schedule in 2014. While LSU and Texas A&M come to the Plains this season, the defending SEC champions will go through the "Amen Corner" stretch of Georgia and Alabama away from home--not to mention a Thursday night clash with Big 12 contenders Kansas State in the Little Apple of Manhattan, Kan.
Do I think the Tigers will make it back to the first College Football Playoff this season? Absolutely. Auburn has impressive talent everywhere on offense and a reloaded defense with something to prove from its bitter end at the Rose Bowl in January.
Do I think the Tigers will pull off the perfect season? No.
There are just enough question marks surrounding this team and a tougher schedule--which would include an extra game in the new playoff system, if Auburn makes it that far--to keep the team away from the tough task of perfection.
However, one SEC loss and an Iron Bowl win could put Auburn back in Atlanta for the SEC Championship Game and another shot at the national title. I predict the Tigers will be in line for a repeat next season.
Will it be enough to push them to Jerry World in North Texas? Only time will tell, and if recent seasons are any suggestion, there will be plenty of drama on the Plains this season.
It's time to buckle up once again, Auburn.

Justin Ferguson is the sports editor at The Auburn Plainsman. You can contact him via e-mail at jdf0014@auburn.edu or on Twitter @JFergusonAU.

Share and discuss “OPINION: High expectations, high rewards ahead for the 2014 Tigers” on social media.