Softball's Cooper, Melero hit late home runs to earn comeback upset against Texas A&M

Branndi Melero (#17), Jordan Rocker (#18), and Hilary Mavromat (#6) celebrate after winning against Texas A&M. (Contributed by Emily Enfinger)

Facing a four-run deficit heading into the final inning against Texas A&M on Friday night, the Auburn softball team needed something special to pull off a win.
Clint Myers' squad did just that thanks to its tried and true weapon--the home run.
The Tigers won their first game of a weekend series against No. 18 Texas A&M in dramatic fashion of Friday, beating the Aggies 7-6.
Kasey Cooper hit a one-out grand slam in the bottom of the seventh to tie the SEC clash at six, and Branndi Melero finished the job with a walk-off solo shot to give Auburn a massive conference win.
Texas A&M wasted no time getting on the board Friday night, blasting a grand slam to take a 4-0 lead in the first inning.
After an Aggie hit brought in their fifth run, Emily Carosone reduced the deficit to 5-1 with a solo homerun in the third.
The Aggies brought in another run in the seventh, making the score 6-2 and giving the Tigers a four-run deficit going into the final inning.
After loading the bases in the bottom of the seventh inning, Cooper tied the game at 6-6 with a one-out grand slam.
The Aggies brought in a new pitcher, however it wouldn't be enough as Melero hit a walk-off solo shot to give the Tigers the win.
The win gives the Tigers a 35-14-1 overall record, with an SEC record of 9-11.
The Tigers host the Aggies for game two of the series tomorrow at Jane B. Moore Field at 1 p.m.

Share and discuss “Softball's Cooper, Melero hit late home runs to earn comeback upset against Texas A&M” on social media.