OPINION: Get a dose of culture with your college

Downtown Opelika is home to many art, music, food and clothing venues (Raye May | Photo & Design Editor)

There's nothing wrong with downtown Auburn. There are a ton of cool shops and places to eat and it's generally a fun place to hang out and relax, especially on the weekends.
But if you're like me and just can't seem to get into the college bar scene--overly loud rap music and brightly colored drinks that promise terrible hangovers--Friday nights can get tedious. When all your friends are hanging out at Sky Bar until 3 a.m., what's a college kid to do?
I asked the same question and spent more than a few weekends Netflix-binging on the couch instead of having a social life the first couple years of college. And then an older friend invited me to come to a small cafe in downtown Opelika called Eighth & Rail.
At the intersection of 8th Street and Railroad Avenue in historic downtown Opelika is the arts district: an old railway station converted into colorful strips of shopping, dining and all things art.
You can head to one of the awesome local eateries like Ma Fia's for pizza, or my personal favorite, Irish Bred Pub, for a pint or two or three--if you're old enough, of course. For dessert, there's The Cheesecake Cottage just around the corner serving up homemade sweets.
If you're into art, there's no better place to hang out. Head to The Gallery on Railroad for original art, or design your own clothes at Kiss My Little Sass. At Uptown Art you can spend your evening painting, or you can head a few streets over to 10th Street and visit the Overall Company's upstairs art gallery, featuring local and university artists, designers and more.
If it's music you want, downtown Opelika is the place to be. Eighth & Rail serves desserts and drinks and hosts live music just about every night, and Irish Bred Pub hosts upstairs bands nearly every weekend.
Occasionally, The Railyard across the street will even bring in bands for an outdoor show. Last summer, they hosted an all-day local music and art festival to support Auburn and Opelika artists.
Auburn is an amazing place full of awesome things to do, but it shouldn't be the only thing you see during your stay here.
Opelika has so many cool things to offer, especially if you prefer your entertainment a little off the beaten path. Drunken revelry has its place, but don't forgo the more cultured side of having fun.

Share and discuss “OPINION: Get a dose of culture with your college” on social media.