Friends, fans gather at Toomer's Corner to celebrate life of Lutzenkirchen

Anna Grafton, senior in environmental science, and Morgan Jackson, senior in English, mourn the loss of former Auburn football player Philip Lutzenkirchen at Toomer's Corner on Sunday, June 29.

Raye May / PHOTO & DESIGN EDITOR
Anna Grafton, senior in environmental science, and Morgan Jackson, senior in English, mourn the loss of former Auburn football player Philip Lutzenkirchen at Toomer's Corner on Sunday, June 29. Raye May / PHOTO & DESIGN EDITOR

Auburn fans gathered at Toomer's Corner on Sunday afternoon to celebrate the life of former Tiger Philip Lutzenkirchen.
Lutzenkirchen, a member of the 2010 National Championship team and fan favorite, passed away early Sunday morning after a car he was a passenger in careened out of control for more than 450 feet before overturning several times.
Lutzenkirchen was ejected from the car and pronounced dead at the scene outside of LaGrange, Georgia.
"It's obviously a time for mourning, but we should also be celebrating what a great man he was and what he brought to the football team, to the Auburn family and the SEC in general," said Morgan Jackson, senior and daughter of Auburn great Bo Jackson.
Approximately 150 people showed up to show their respect, with many wearing the familiar #43 jersey that Lutzenkirchen wore for the Tigers.
"When I first came here, he seemed to be the safety net of the team," said Kathleen Johnson, senior from Canton, Georgia. "He was my favorite player."
Fans brought toilet paper to throw into trees; something usually saved for victories.
Lutzenkirchen became an Auburn legend when, with Auburn trailing Alabama 27-21 in the 2010 Iron Bowl, Cam Newton found Lutzenkirchen for the game-winning touchdown to keep the Tigers on their path to the national title.
The "Lutzie", Lutzenkirchen's dance after the touchdown, became a sensation.
"When I told my parents this morning, my dad (Bo) said, 'Phil? The touchdown dancing guy?'," said Jackson. "It was really hard for him to hear that."
Lutzenkirchen's Auburn career ended after sustaining a hip injury against Ole Miss in 2012. The following year, he signed a free agent contract with the Rams, but was released four months later due to the same injury. He finished with 59 caught passes for 628 yards and 14 touchdowns for the Tigers.
"He was a great Auburn football player," said Erica Seymour, senior from Hueytown. "Nobody had a bad thing to say about him. I honestly hate that I didn't know him personally."
Graduating in 2012, Lutzenkirchen remained a familiar face in the Auburn community, attending football games and other athletic events.
"He was a very good family friend and a good guy," said Jessica Carroll, senior in Public Relations. "He never really let go of Auburn. It's a place in his heart."

Share and discuss “Friends, fans gather at Toomer's Corner to celebrate life of Lutzenkirchen” on social media.