Fitness classes attract more men

(Raye May | Photo Editor)
(Raye May | Photo Editor)

Although fitness classes are said to be beneficial, some men said they do not want to participate in them.
However, the rec center is aiming to redefine the idea of typical group fitness class.
Hal Davis, junior in fitness conditioning and performance, has attended three group fitness classes for class credit and said he would not plan on attending any more for a number of reasons.
"Mainly for a convenience of schedule and because I don't know them," Davis said.
Davis works out on his own schedule, where he does weight training and cardio. When he works out with men, he weight trains, but when he works out with his wife, he focuses on cardio. He is one of many men who avoid group fitness classes.
"I picture a bunch of girls doing Zumba," Davis said.
According to Davis, most men avoid group fitness classes because of their pride.
"They don't want to do anything girly," Davis said. "They don't want to be shown up by anyone in the class."
Davis said if there were more weight training classes offered at different times, more men would participate.
Unlike Davis, Blake Amerson, junior in electrical engineering, has never attended a group fitness class.
"I think they are more of an aerobics class," Amerson said. "I am looking to strictly lift weights."
Amerson said he recognizes some group fitness classes are more suitable for women, but believes certain classes should be geared toward men with a focus on building strength.
Susannah Taylor, coordinator of fitness with campus recreation, said the rec center has a lot to offer for both women and men.
"The ratio [of men to women] is definitely evening out this semester," Taylor said.
Adding to the increase in male participation, some group fitness classes are being led by men. Taylor added yoga classes are seeing more male participation.
According to Taylor, group fitness classes, such as Total Resistance eXercise, strength training, boot camp, Insanity and a variety of aqua classes are being offered, as well as some classes taking place on the intramural fields.
"People think of group fitness as aerobics," Taylor said. "But the formats have broadened."
With new full-body workouts and equipment not available on the rec center floor, Taylor encourages students, especially men, to take advantage of the group fitness classes.
"We have so many great classes to offer for everyone," Taylor said.
Other gender-neutral fitness classes offered include cycling, athletic conditioning, rowing essentials and glide and ride.
Taylor said she and the rest of the rec center team, which includes three professional staff members who train instructors to organize their own workouts, are working to provide students with as many class options as possible with numerous variations of exercise.

Share and discuss “Fitness classes attract more men” on social media.