OPINION: Birkenstocks are back in style

Birkenstock stoes have regained popularity in the U.S. (Emily Enfinger | Assistant Photo Editor)

Spandex, bell-bottoms, Afros and big glasses are all trends that have come and gone and come again over the past century. One fashion trend back in the U.S., and more specifically on campus, is Birkenstocks.
Birkenstock is a German company that manufactures shoes for men and women. Birkenstocks are receiving high praise from various patrons of the comfortable, yet stylish sandals.
Lilly Woodruff, senior in apparel design, is intrigued by the brand and their appeal to such a wide demographic.
"People in Europe haven't stopped wearing them because they are the most comfortable shoe," Woodruff said. "Fashion over there is a lot earlier than the U.S., especially a place like Auburn."
Woodruff said the trend hasn't gone away overseas and people in the U.S. have started catching the trend again.
"Someone may be wearing them for practical purposes and then someone else sees them as something they can throw on with anything, and before you know it, everybody's wearing them again," Woodruff said.
Della Smith, junior at Lipscomb University, lives in Nashville, Tennessee. She has noticed the return of the Birkenstocks.
"At first, I thought other people were trying to bring them back," Smith said. "Then, I realized more and more people wearing them around campus and just out. They really are in style now. I might get myself a pair."
Birkenstocks certainly have made their way back into the wardrobes of students all over campus.
The practicality and style are what lure the students in according to Woodruff.
"I think the comfort in big, trendy places like Italy and New York, where people walk everywhere, a shoe like a Birkenstock makes sense," Woodruff said. "Then, you see them as cute and take an interest in the style."
She also praised the company for diversifying their look over the years.
"Birkenstock as a brand has done a great job of expanding their appeal," Woodruff said. "Last year, they came out with a gladiator style. I have been shocked at the number of compliments I receive every single time I wear mine."
Margaret Manifold, junior in public relations, is skeptical about fads, but she thinks Birkenstocks are a trend that should stick around for a while.
"I think trends are always being recycled, and you can either go right or wrong," Manifold said. "I know I want to order a pair, and I like that they have different styles."
For a shoe that is known for its comfort, they are now a fashion statement. Patrons of the sandals may show others that they appreciate being comfortable and practical in their wardrobe choices.
People who wear Birkenstocks are also into what is in style and know how to stay hip, yet casual, in the world of fashion and shoes.

Share and discuss “OPINION: Birkenstocks are back in style” on social media.