Chewacla State Park hosts 12 Hours of Nite Nationals bike racing

(Contributed by Steve Hampton H&H Multimedia)

The 12 Hours of Nite Nationals is an endurance mountain bike race. The nationals are part of Chain Buster Production's Dark Nite Series and will be held Oct. 25, 9 p.m at Chewacla State Park.
Kenny Griffin founded Chain Buster Productions in 2009. He began racing when he was 10 years old and later his interests shifted toward business. The result was an extreme endurance racing company that, in 2014, has hosted 19 races across three states.
The job of Chain Buster Productions in endurance races is complex. They set up the format, structure, rules and categories of the events.
The 12 Hours of Nite is the first of its kind in the Dark Nite Series.
There are a lot of different races across the country. There aren't any races that take place strictly at night, so that's what makes this series unique according to Griffin.
"My greatest moment in racing was doing a 24-hour team race in 2010," Griffin said. "Making it all throughout the night was great, it's draining because it's not something you do normally."
Participants will have 12 hours to bike as many loops of 10-12 mile circuits as they can. The race can be done solo or even in a team format of two to four people. Those in teams will take turns racing, the object being to cover as much distance as possible in the 12-hour limit.
The race is sponsored by Nite Rider Technical Lighting Systems.
Tommy Bryan, event coordinator for Nite Rider, travels across the country providing lighting equipment.
"I'm a retired racer, and this kind of racing is very unique," Bryan said. "Nite Rider provides the best possible equipment for this kind of endurance racing."
Phillip Darden, Auburn University Graduate, is president of Central Alabama Mountain Pedalers (CAMP). Darden who was a major in graphic design was also a member of the Auburn Flyers, a cycling club on campus. As an experienced racer, he said the goals of his organization has been to host an endurance race, so he was very excited to be approached by Griffin.
"The Chewacla trails are different at night and this race has different aspects then most," Darden said. "Team options make the event fun, you get to race with your friends, but at the same time be competitive."
CAMP will oversee the marking of all trails and make sure they are up to race standards.
The course will open at 5 p.m. the day before the race for a pre-ride. Also, Chewacla State Park is offering camp ground to those wishing to arrive before the race. A $3 charge will be required to enter the park. Those wishing to participate are required to register online where lighting rentals and fees can also be found.

Share and discuss “Chewacla State Park hosts 12 Hours of Nite Nationals bike racing” on social media.