Editorial: Hazing should be treated individually

Charlotte Kelly  I  Graphics Editor
Charlotte Kelly I Graphics Editor

Clemson University disbanded 24 fraternities on campus after a sophomore died while with his fraternity brothers.
According to CNN.com, Tucker Hipps, 19, went on a run with his fraternity brothers and somehow became separated. Officers discovered Hipps' body underneath a bridge that afternoon. Coroners said they suspect he fell from the bridge and died from blunt force trauma.
There is no official evidence that suggests Hipps died as a result of hazing.
The suspended fraternities were investigated this semester for a variety of issues "ranging from alcohol related medical emergencies to sexual misconduct," said Student Affairs Vice President Gail DiSabatino in a press release from Clemson.
Auburn University has done an exemplary job of controlling fraternity incidents on an individualized level.
In the past couple years, few fraternities have faced suspension or disbandment because of this dangerous kind of induction.
Auburn University has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to hazing. When hazing is discovered on campus, Auburn is good about stepping in and enforcing punishments.
Suspending all fraternities is extreme when not all of the fraternities have had hazing incidents. The punishments should vary based upon the incident.
Accidental alcohol poisoning should be treated in a manner different from leaving pledges blindfolded on a hike without water or shoes, as seen at California State Northridge last semester.
National fraternities also investigate and carry out punishments on their own.
Last year, when hazing was discovered at Auburn's own Sigma Chi chapter, the Sigma Chi National Fraternity intervened and suspended the chapter until at least 2015.
Clemson University could have let Sigma Phi Epsilon's National Fraternity intervene and take care of the situation through investigation and, if necessary, punishment.
There is one area Auburn could improve, however. During rush season, rumors of hazing across fraternities float often, but seem to go unreported. Those rumors, if believed to be substantial, should always be reported.
Alabama is a duty-to-report state, which means that being aware of hazing and not reporting it is illegal.
If you are witnessing or subject to hazing in any organization, you can call Auburn's hazing hotline at 334-844-4564.

Share and discuss “Editorial: Hazing should be treated individually” on social media.