Editorial Staff | Fall 2014

Logo (Official logo of The Auburn Plainsman)
Community

Editorial: Changing the name doesn't change the event

Jakell Mitchell, redshirt football player and freshman in sociology, was the victim of a shooting at Tiger Lodge, early Sunday morning Dec. 14. This is not the first time Tiger Lodge, formerly known as University Heights, was the location of a shooting. Former football players Ed Christian and Ladarious Phillips, and DeMario Pitts of Opelika were the victims of a shooting at the same complex June 9, 2012.

editorial finals
Campus

Editorial: Auburn's dead days are already dead

As finals week approaches many students have begun their attempts to cram a semesters' worth of information into a few days of all night studying at the library. Finals week is an understood necessary part of being a college student. However, some of the stresses that come with finals week at Auburn University could be avoided.

editorial graphic
News

Editorial: Fans take rival revelry too far, too often

Football rivalries are ingrained into college life as deeply as the traditions of rolling Toomer's Corner in Auburn, cowbells clanking at Ole Miss and lighting the central tower on the University of Texas' campus. In every game played against rival schools there are jeers and pranks played against opposing fans. Most are harmless- stringing corndogs in trees for LSU games or putting plush bulldog toys in fake cages with signs declaring impending victory.

Editorial Graphic
News

Editorial: Leave Lady Luck out of Auburn football

Since Auburn's unexpected loss to Texas A&M, it seems the majority of national coverage is declaring our luck has run out. "Auburn's luck runs out versus Texas A&M," an ESPN headline announced. "It's as if karma has caught up to No. 3 Auburn after the prayer at Jordan-Hare," said Jon Solomon, national college football writer. "The string of victories was already unnatural," wrote Dan Wolken with USA Today wrote.

Editorial Graphic
News

Editorial: Research before you donate

Amidst all the pink colors splashed on buildings, on sports teams' jerseys and on ribbons across America, it is hard to miss October is breast cancer awareness month. With all the hype from breast cancer awareness, it is important to remember to donate to a charity that matters to you and spends money wisely.

Editorial Cartoon
News

Editorial: Hazing should be treated individually

Clemson University disbanded 24 fraternities on campus after a sophomore died while with his fraternity brothers. According to CNN.com, Tucker Hipps, 19, went on a run with his fraternity brothers and somehow became separated. Officers discovered Hipps' body underneath a bridge that afternoon. Coroners said they suspect he fell from the bridge and died from blunt force trauma.

editorial graph
Campus

Editorial: Class times are scheduled with purpose

Class schedules, when done correctly, are planned and organized well before the semester starts. Some students commute an hour or more to and from classes and have chosen their schedules based on days they can drive to campus. Many students have part-time or full-time jobs on top of memberships in clubs and sports that must be woven into going to class, along with attempts to get necessary amounts of sleep and still have some semblance of a social life.

editorial
News

Editorial: Disconnecting in order to connect

The increase in technology has led to a decrease in social skills. This generation faces the unique situation of having limitless information available at all times with a stroke of a fingertip. We are surrounded by it. Phones have become bed partners, dates, gym buddies, class distractions and homework helpers.

More articles »