Editorial: Research before you donate

Charlotte Kelly   I    Graphics Editor
Charlotte Kelly I Graphics Editor

Amidst all the pink colors splashed on buildings, on sports teams' jerseys and on ribbons across America, it is hard to miss October is breast cancer awareness month.
With all the hype from breast cancer awareness, it is important to remember to donate to a charity that matters to you and spends money wisely.
Donating to the various charities that support breast cancer is a worthy cause. Funding for research, prevention and the search for a cure is needed.
However, be sure you know all the facts before you hand over any money to the charity of your choice.
Unfortunately, some non-profit organizations have data showing they don't wisely donate their profits in the fight against breast cancer. Some organizations pay large amounts of their donated dollars to various sponsors and administrators of the group, resulting in a limited amount of funding actually going towards research.
According to vice.com, the NFL's breast cancer campaign, "A Crucial Catch," does not raise much funding towards breast cancer at all. Vice.com said "the NFL's claim of 100 percent proceeds from auction and 100 percent proceeds from retail has translated to an average of just $1.1 million every year since they partnered with ACS six years ago. That's less than .01 percent of the approximately $10 billion the league made in revenue last year."
There are ways to find out the spending history of the charities you donate to. Greatnonprofits.org offers reviews from people around the United States on their experiences with different charities. Charitywatch.com gives grades to various charities based upon their spending habits and the effectiveness of their fundraising. Charitynavigator.org evaluates financial documents turned into the government by charities and rates them based on their spending, fundraising, administrative costs, accountability and transparency.
Each of these websites allows you to search through hundreds of charities, raising funding for all different types of problems throughout the US, from breast cancer awareness to Alzheimer's to humane societies to media accuracy.
While we definitely need more funding for breast cancer, you should donate to a charity that means something to you if you donate. Don't donate just because of the hype an organization may create.
If Alzheimer's is a disease close to your heart, donate to them. If your mother was stricken by colon cancer, send money to colon cancer research.
Also, in college, students may not be able to afford to donate cash. But you can always donate your time. Many non-profit organizations have walks to raise awareness and money for breast cancer. Volunteers can help plot the racecourse, hand out packets of info or walk in the event.
However you choose to donate, whether it be by giving money, giving time or passing on knowledge, get involved with a charity this year and see what impact you can make on someone else's life and on yours.

Share and discuss “Editorial: Research before you donate” on social media.