Auburn leads Samford 17-7 after sloppy first half

Nick Marshall #14 tackled by Samford's Jose Casanova #65 in the first half. Samford vs Auburn at Auburn, AL on Nov 22, 2014. (Emily Enfinger | Assistant Photo Editor)

Despite a sloppy start, Auburn leads Samford 17-7 at the half.
Samford took advantage of Auburn's penalties and lack of offense on their way to taking the 7-0 lead.
Auburn's offense picked up where they left off with their struggles last game against Georgia, with only 33 yards of total offense in the first quarter.
But the offense picked it up in the second quarter with 176 yards of total offense.
The Tigers won the coin toss and elected to receive the ball but opened up the game with a three-and-out. Auburn's first four drives included three punts and a Nick Marshall interception on an attempted deep ball pass to Sammie Coates.
Samford got on the board first after a 15-yard pass interference penalty, committed by Jonathon Mincy, set up a seven-yard touchdown pass on the following play.
Auburn's offense woke up on the following three-play, 73-yard drive, which included a 49-yard pass to Coates and a 23-yard touchdown run by Quan Bray.
Bray is the first ever Auburn player to have a receiving, rushing and return touchdown in one season.
The defense then continued that momentum on the next drive after a Montravius Adams sack on third down forced a Samford three-and-out.
Auburn then took the 10-7 lead on the following drive after a 29-yard field goal from Daniel Carlson.
The Tigers' last offensive drive of the half was good for 68 yards in five plays, capped off by a Cameron Artis-Payne seven-yard touchdown run.

Share and discuss “Auburn leads Samford 17-7 after sloppy first half” on social media.