Coast Guard Auxiliary appears on campus radar

John Matechak and Carl Fox use teamwork to put out a fire.

While ROTC members make up a large number of students at the University, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary is a branch of the military that falls under the radar at Auburn.
Jake Shaw, chief of operations for the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary University Programs and physical therapist at EAMC, said because the branches of ROTC fall under the department of defense in the U.S. government and the Coast Guard falls under the department of Homeland Security, there is no connection in that way between the two programs on campus.
The Coast Guard program at the University is an auxiliary program, which means all participation in the program is on a volunteer basis.
"It's a way for college students to be a part of the Coast Guard while they're in school," said Landon Elliot, Flotilla Commander and City of Auburn police officer. "This is great because they don't have to go away to an academy or boot camp."
Students and participants of the Coast Guard Auxiliary program are given responsibilities right away.
"They can come in and practice leadership and use leadership immediately, which is something other branches of military might not offer right off the bat," Elliot said.
The Coast Guard Auxiliary program started nationally seven years ago and was started at the University by Shaw, four years ago.
So far, members of the program have travelled to Dolphin Island, Lake Martin and Tuscaloosa, during the 2011 tornadoes, to help with active duty in those areas.
"After our training, we will be able to help if a tornado comes," said John Matechak, Auburn University deputy student leader and senior in mechanical engineering and German. "We'll be the first-responders and go out and help people if they need it. We're that part of the government and part of the community where we see a need and want to help out."
The Auburn Coast Guard Auxiliary program also helped with search and rescue, clearing roads and volunteering with the Auburn firefighters when tornados came through Auburn.
"There's a lot of hands-on experience where you can really see the impact you make," said Andy Husted, vice Flotilla commander and City of Auburn firefighter.
Elliot said some problems the program faces are not having an ocean to readily practice in.
The Coast Guard University program is open to anyone who wants to serve, and the program is always looking for more members.
"I think people looking for an organization like this to be a part of, first turn to ROTC because that's all they've ever heard of and not Coast Guard because we're not as well known," Elliot said. "This is something for people who are looking for what the ROTC can provide, but can find it in the Coast Guard University program."
Husted said the program is also for people with servant hearts who want to make a difference in their community.
"There are so many opportunities in this organization that are not military-related at all," Husted said. "You can get internships and study the effects of an oil spill because that's something the Coast Guard deals with and there are internships available all throughout the country."
Carl Fox, junior in fitness, performance and conditioning, said he hopes to continue his Coast Guard career after graduation.
"Coast Guard runs in my family," Fox said. "My dad is a chief in the Coast Guard and I really want to be a part of the Coast Guard one day, whether enlisted or officer."
Elliot reminds people interested in joining that no military service is required after graduation.
"It's really want you want to be in the Coast Guard Auxiliary is what you put into it," Elliot said.
For more information, contact Elliot through email, landon.elliot@cgauxnet.us or through phone, (334) 703-4368.

Share and discuss “Coast Guard Auxiliary appears on campus radar” on social media.