D'haquille 'Duke' Williams sidelined with knee injury

Duke Williams being escorted off the field with assistance from the medical staff. He did not return to today's game against Texas A&M. (Kenny Moss | Photographer)

The Auburn Tigers lost in heartbreaking fashion to Texas A&M Saturday night, as the Aggies recovered a fumble on a botched snap in the final minute to hold on 41-38. The loss was crippling to the Tigers' hopes of returning to the National Championship, and they might have lost their top receiving threat as well.
Junior wide receiver D'haquille Williams left the game with a right knee injury early in the second quarter of today's game against Texas A&M. Williams was reaching up for a pass by quarterback Nick Marshall when he was hit by Aggies defensive back De'vante Harris.
Williams stayed down on the field for several minutes after they play, as head coach Gus Malzahn and others came onto the field to check on his condition. He eventually got up but had to be helped off the field where he was immediately looked at by training staff.
It was announced shortly afterward that Williams would not return to the game, who was seen crying on the sideline as he was being attended to. He walked on crutches with a towel over his head into the locker room shortly before halftime.
It is unknown how severe the knee injury is.
"He couldn't play in the second half," Malzahn said. "I do not have any other update at this time."
Junior wide receiver Melvin Ray remains optimistic about Williams.
"I have no clue on his status but I know he'll be okay," Junior receiver Melvin Ray said. "Duke's a strong guy, he tries to play through whatever he can so as soon as he's able to come back I'm sure he'll be back."
The loss of Williams could potentially be devastating for Auburn's offense depending on how long he is out, as Williams has been the Tiger's top receiver for the year and go to target whenever a big play is needed. He currently leads the team in yards, receptions and touchdowns for the season.

Damian Lewis praying with teammates after the game. (Photo credit: Emily Enfinger) #Auburn #WarEagle #WDE #AuburnFast

A photo posted by The Auburn Plainsman (@theauburnplainsman) on

Share and discuss “D'haquille 'Duke' Williams sidelined with knee injury” on social media.