Editorial: The problems with wanting prior experience

Chances are, if you're in college, you've decided to invest thousands of dollars and at least four years into an education so you can have your ideal career after graduating.
But a degree doesn't guarantee a job.
Unemployment, while improved, is still at 5.9 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics' website.
There are a number of factors in getting hired, such as personality, resumes and references, but a major factor in getting hired is prior experience.
Many people know the frustration of applying for a job and seeing an application in which employers say they want at least three to five years of prior experience.
There lies the problem.
How can anyone get enough experience to be hired when entry-level jobs require prior experience?
The difficulty of finding a job after graduation can depend largely on one's major as well.
Some majors, such as chemical engineering, have much higher employment rates than others, such as English.
Some colleges in Auburn help students with the job market more than others.
Students can help their chances by getting as much experience as they can during school.
They need to be proactive during their time at Auburn, actively seeking out internships, part-time jobs or volunteering during their free time at places related to their field.
Unfortunately, universities contribute to the problem too.
Students can take dozens of classes in their field without getting any experience that could be put on a resume.
Majors vary in the experience they demand from students as well.
There are some majors that require internships and will find them for you and others that require internships students to find themselves, and still others, which do not require internships at all.
The University should encourage professors to include hands-on experience in their classes, such as opportunities to job shadow and bringing in professionals to talk about their experiences.
Students also shouldn't be shy when applying for jobs.
If a job calls for three to five years of prior experience, apply anyway, even if you have none.
Companies are often willing to overlook no experience in return for gaining a loyal employee, and the worst thing that could happen is not getting the job.
The University has done well with the Career Center.
It is free for students and offers assistance with resumes, mock interviews and job searches.
There are ways to get experience before entering the job market and there are ways around getting jobs without experience.
Seeing prior experience written on a job application comes with a host of frustrations and stigmas, but don't let it deter you from your pursuit of your career.

Share and discuss “Editorial: The problems with wanting prior experience” on social media.