Seniors ready to return to home state in matchup vs. UGA

The last time the Auburn Tigers traveled to Athens, Georgia, was when they were knocked out of the top-25 after losing 45-7 to the Bulldogs in 2011.

The eight Georgia natives who are seniors on Auburn still remember the last time they played in Sanford Stadium and are hoping to leave Athens tonight with a better taste in their mouths.

"It will be a hyped-up game as I can imagine, but I'm pretty sure, collectively, we're going to be focused and stay level-headed with it," said defensive lineman Gabe Wright, who is from Columbus, Georgia.

Senior defensive back Jonathon Mincy, from Decatur, Georgia, said that it would be an indescribable feeling and one of the greatest memories he has had, besides last year's Iron Bowl, if he could get an interception against the team he grew up rooting for.

"It's real big, especially going to their house," Mincy said. "Any game we play against Georgia, it's very touching for me, me growing up and being a fan of them and not having an opportunity to go there."

Senior tight end C.J. Uzomah, from Suwanee, Georgia, said that it's extremely special going back to his home state while playing in front of a lot of his friends and family.

One of the seniors, who did play in the 2011 Deep South's Oldest Rivalry Game, was on the home side playing for the Bulldogs.

Nick Marshall played in all 13 games as a freshman cornerback in 2011 before he was dismissed from the team.

"We believed (Marshall) could be one of the best cornerbacks in America," Georgia head coach Mark Richt said. "We believe he could be a very high draft pick as a corner as well. He's that talented of a guy."

Although the Pineview, Georgia native will be returning to his home state playing against his former team, Auburn coaches believe Marshall will treat this game just as he does with any other games.

"Sure, (Marshall) knows a lot of those guys," offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said. "He was there. It's the home state he grew up in. At the end of the day, all that stuff sounds good, but once that game starts he's going to play the best game he can, no matter what. He would no matter who we were playing."

Share and discuss “Seniors ready to return to home state in matchup vs. UGA” on social media.