Tigers' comeback falls short against Vandy

Antoine Mason takes the shot against Milwaukee on November 14. (Raye May | Photo Editor)

A comeback was cut short in Bruce Pearl's first SEC game as head coach of Auburn (8-6, 0-1) as Vanderbilt (11-3, 1-0) held on to win 64-52 at Memorial Coliseum in Nashville.
The Tigers, down five, had a chance to make it a one-possession game when KT Harrell committed an offensive foul with 1:32 left in the game.
Riley LaChance, a freshman guard for the Commodores, put Vanderbilt back up by seven, and a turnover by Cinmeon Bowers on the Tigers' next possession ended the comeback attempt.
Poor shooting and a 23-5 run by Vanderbilt in the first half gave the Commodores a 33-19 lead at halftime, the Tigers lowest output in a half this season.
The Tigers made a run early in the second half as an Antoine Mason layup with 10:54 left in the 2nd half cut the Vanderbilt lead to five, but the Commodores responded with a 7-0 run, capped off by a LaChance three, to regain command.
Auburn struggled from the foul line, making only 9-of-18 attempts while Vanderbilt shot 20-of-25 from the charity stripe.
Mason, who scored Auburn's first six points, led the Tigers with 16 points, but struggled from the field making only five of 14 field goal attempts. Auburn shot 30 percent as a team.
Forward James Siakam led Vanderbilt with 14 points. LaChance finished with 13 points.
The Tigers return home to Auburn Arena on Saturday as they host Missouri (6-7).

Share and discuss “Tigers' comeback falls short against Vandy” on social media.