'TRUCKS' art exhibit pulls into Auburn

Artist John Himmelfarb's "Penelope Awaiting Her Chamberlain" is part of the "TRUCKS" exhibit at the museum. (Ellen Jackson | Photographer)

There will be a new exhibit rolling into Auburn soon.
Artist John Himmelfarb's "TRUCKS" will be open Jan. 24-May 10 at the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art.
The sculpture "Penelope Awaiting Her Chamberlain," constructed out of a 1946 Chevrolet truck, is currently displayed in front of the museum.
The exhibit is a survey of Himmelfarb's expressive art, from drawings to actual trucks, according to the museum's website.
Himmelfarb will be in the museum the first week of the exhibition to finish a piece for the exhibit. He said he thought the piece was completed, but then decided he wanted to add more.
Dennis Harper, curator of collections and exhibitions at the museum, said there is a camera in place to capture Himmelfarb painting the piece and it will be streamed online.
"We will be able to compile it and compress it so it will be like a time lapse," Harper said.
While people can watch the painting be created online, Harper said he hopes people come and interact with Himmelfarb as he is creating the piece.
"He hopes that people will come and engage in conversation with him and give him their feedback," Harper said.
The title of the piece is "Grace" and the piece is 35 feet long, according to the spring 2015 edition of the museum's member magazine.
The exhibit has been in the making for approximately three years, according to Harper.
"Abstract expressionism was the predominant style when John was coming up in the art world," Harper said.
The exhibit includes a variety of artwork because Himmelfarb works with many materials, according to Harper.
Charlotte Hendrix, communications and marketing specialist with the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art, said Himmelfarb enjoys talking to people about his work and working in front of his audience.
The exhibit offers something for a variety of ages.
There will be a film series that goes along with the exhibit called FILM@JCSM. Before each movie, there will be an introduction from Auburn scholars and guests.
The movies that will be shown during the series include "Annie Get Your Gun," "Strangers on a Train" and "Fruitvale Station." The series starts Jan. 29. More info can be found on eventbrite.com.

Share and discuss “'TRUCKS' art exhibit pulls into Auburn” on social media.