Softball finishes Arkansas series with third run-rule win

Have mercy.

That’s what Arkansas needed all weekend at Jane B. Moore field, as the juggernaut that is Auburn softball’s offense kept their foot on the gas , as they have all season, and continued to pour on the runs.

Sunday, April 26, the Tigers finished the sweep of the Razorbacks by way of a 10-2 win, mercy ruling the hogs in every game of the series.

Coach Clint Myers was understandably pleased with his team’s performance in their final home series of 2015.

“I thought it was a great weekend,” Myers said. “We’re finishing up that second third of the season that was really important.

It was senior day at Moore field and senior Branndi Melero made sure to make a memory at her final home game at Auburn.

In the bottom of the first inning, Melero put one over the fence to give Auburn a 2-1 advantage. The lead wouldn’t change again.

“It was fun,” Melero said. “I couldn’t be happier. The fact that it was on senior day kind of made me smile a little bit bigger.”

The Tigers brought in another run off an Emily Carosone double in the third to make it 3-1, then opened the floodgates in the fourth.

A Morgan Estell single made it 5-2 Auburn, followed by a double from Haley Fagan to push it to 6-2. Estell got home on a wild pitch, and then Jenna Abbott made it 9-2 with her second homer of the year.

With the bases still loaded, Kasey Cooper got hit by a pitch to give Auburn the 8-run lead. After Arkansas failed to score in their half the fifth, the run rule was enforced and the game was called.

On the mound for Auburn was Rachael Walters, who went the full game, allowing six hits and two runs while walking two and striking out three.

The win ups the Tigers 44-8 overall, with a 16-5 mark in SEC play.

Next is a trip to Baton Rouge on Friday, May 1, for a season finale series with LSU. The Tigers will stay put in Baton Rouge for the SEC tournament the following week, Wednesday, May 6.

Share and discuss “Softball finishes Arkansas series with third run-rule win” on social media.