Auburn softball takes first NCAA Tournament game

Auburn Softball defeated the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles in a come from behind win Friday, May 15, in its first NCAA Tournament game.

The Tigers didn’t let the 2 hour, 15 minute weather delay affect their momentum following their first ever SEC Tournament win with 4 runs and 4 hits.

A vocal crowd sat through the early rain, cheering on the Tigers.

The Golden Eagles struck first with a solo home run by catcher Kelly Kennedy to left field in the top of the third. Auburn pitcher Rachael Walters would allow two more hits before retiring second baseman Hannah Eldridge to end the inning.

Walters gave up a one out single to open the fourth. After 3 and one-third innings, she was lifted for right-hander Lexi Davis. Davis got a groundout on Tech’s Bayli Cruse and a three-pitch strikeout from Kennedy to end the inning.

“I thought Rachael and Lexi did an outstanding job pitching, and thought we played good defense,” Myers said. “We need to hit better. We need to barrel the ball up. We left the zone a few times.”

Davis gave up one hit for the remainder of the game.

“I think my drop ball was working well, and I think the biggest thing for me was my off-speed,” Davis said.

In the bottom of the fourth, Auburn’s Kasey Cooper reached first on a leadoff single. Branndi Melero and Carlee Wallace followed with back-to-back walks, and Cooper was caught in a rundown for the first out of the inning. An RBI double from Morgan Estell brought in the tying run. Estell’s double was the 59th of her career, making her the Auburn career leader in doubles.

Estell said she hit a change-up to tie the game.

“She (Danielle Liberatore) basically threw me the same sequence the last at bat, so I was ready for it,” Estell said.

Haley Fagan had a shallow pop out to center field, bringing in pinch runner Victoria Draper from third. The inning closed with a fly ball to center and Auburn leading 2-1.

A well-placed bunt and speed from Tiffany Howard started off the Tigers in the fifth. Emily Carosone followed with a walk moving Howard into scoring position. Cooper stepped up to the dish and sent a line drive up the middle giving Auburn the 3-1 lead with a resounding chorus of “COOOP” from the crowd. Estell’s RBI walk gave the Tigers a 4-1 lead over the Golden Eagles.

Auburn held on to the 4-1 lead for the win over Tennessee Tech. The win marked Auburn’s 50th of the season and win number 1,000 for Myers.

Myers said he is anticipating a “fun game” tomorrow. “It’s gonna come down to the little things again, so we gotta take care of business and do the little things. It should be a good game to watch.”

The Tigers will move on to face the South Alabama Jaguars Saturday, May 16, at noon.

Share and discuss “Auburn softball takes first NCAA Tournament game ” on social media.