Auburn students attend summer music festivals

<p>Kings of Leon rocking out to largest crowd of the day at the Hangout Music Festival 2013. (File Photo)</p>

Kings of Leon rocking out to largest crowd of the day at the Hangout Music Festival 2013. (File Photo)

Music festivals are a popular activity each summer. 

It is only June and already Auburn students have been busy attending the different festivals going on. 

Shaky Boots Country Music Festival, one of the first this summer, took place on the Kennnesaw State University campus May 16-17. Bands such as Blake Shelton, Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, Rascal Flatts, The Band Perry, Eli Young Band, Jana Kramer and many more smaller bands and artists were in attendance. Sarah Partain, sophomore in journalism, had VIP tickets to this festival. 

"We got to go backstage whenever we wanted and got access to the area with free food and drinks and nice places to sit," Partain said. 

Partain, who said she has been to small festivals before, but never one this big, said her favorite part was dancing to the music.

"The constant live country music, and getting to dance with my friends to Rascal Flatts and Brad Paisley as the sun was setting,"  Partain said.

Partain also said the festival had a laid-back atmosphere.

"Super relaxed, low maintenance, and so much fun," Partain said. 

However, the most popular festival to Auburn students so far this summer is Hangout Music Festival. Hangout Fest took place May 15-17 in Orange Beach. This music festival included bands such as Zac Brown Band, Skrillex, My Morning Jacket, Foster the People, Paramore, Misterwives, Foo Fighters, Vance Joy and Dirty Heads. 

Tristan Watson, freshman in business, said he got to see some of his favorite musicians.

"Waiting in a big crowds of people, you get very anxious to see some of our favorite artists live for the first time," Watson said.

However, Watson said his favorite part wasn't just the excitement of hearing a band for the first time, it was also the food. "I really enjoyed all of the incredible food," Watson said. "Calories don't count at music festivals. So you eat it." 

Maddie McAlister, sophomore in business, is a Hangout Fest veteran. 

"I'm from Gulf Shores, so I've always gone to the Hangout," McAllister said. "Every year the Hangout Music Festival is the highlight of my summer. I've never heard of anyone going and not having a good time."

Watson also said he loves Hangout Fest.

"The Hangout Music Festival has one of the best vibes of all time," Watson said.

Many music festivals are still on the horizon this summer, such as Electric Daisy Carnival (EDC), which takes place June 19-21 in Las Vegas. Nicole Fulkerson, senior in journalism, said EDC is the biggest electronic music festival in all of North America.

Big name performers such as Calvin Harris, Avicii, Tiësto and Martin Garrix perform. However, Fulkerson said she is looking forward to  than just the music. 

"The concert is from 6p.m. - 6 a.m. every night, and people dress up in the craziest costumes, me and my friends are actually dressing up like jellyfish," Fulkerson said. "[electronic dance music] is about more than music. It is about the way you feel when you are listening to it and the experience of it all."

Other music festivals are also still on the horizon this summer, such as Bonnaroo 2015, which is June 11-14, in Manchester, Tennessee. 

Share and discuss “Auburn students attend summer music festivals” on social media.