Pearl previews upcoming basketball season

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl previewed his team’s upcoming season on the SEC Men’s Basketball Summer Teleconference on Monday, June 29.

“We’re definitely still in the rebuilding process,” Pearl said. “We’re really excited about our [recruiting] class and how hard they’ve been working in the summer to come together as a group. We’re going to have probably seven new guys out of 14 players on scholarship, so it’s really a rebuild for us. We graduated 65 percent of our scoring, including our four senior guards. The newcomers are long and athletic, so we want to be able to play a little bit faster. It’s a great group.”

Pearl commented on the schedule for the 2015-16 season.

“The schedule is tough,” Pearl said. “Probably one of the toughest that I’ve ever put together. There’s a possibility of facing 10 NCAA Tournament teams from a year ago. We have some really exciting home games, which is great. We’ve got Colorado coming in and Oklahoma State in the SEC-Big 12 Challenge. We go to Xavier. That will be tough, they were a Sweet Sixteen team a year ago. Plus Middle Tennessee, as well as Coastal Carolina. Three road games plus a tournament out in Hawaii, with a very strong field at the Diamond Head Classic.”

The second-year coach said the support from Auburn fans has been “terrific,” and said season tickets will sell out for the second consecutive year.

Auburn will open its season Nov. 13, with a home game against UAB.

Share and discuss “Pearl previews upcoming basketball season” on social media.