Pop-up SummerNight Art Walk successful despite construction

Local members of the community gathered in front of the Gay Street parking deck listening to local music by the Joe Bagley Band and browsing artists' work at A Pop-up SummerNight Art Walk Friday, June 12, from 5-9 p.m.

Cari Cleckler, co-coordinator of the event, has been involved with the art walk for six years, and said this year was the first "pop-up" art walk because of the downtown construction at the intersection of Magnolia Avenue and College Street. 

Clecker said they decided to hold a smaller version of their normal SummerNight, and they have planned a full art walk October 9 called an "Indian SummerNight" when the construction at Toomer's Corner is complete. 

"So this really is just a way to engage the Auburn community," Cleckler said. "We didn't want to completely not have an event. We wanted to support the Downtown Merchant's Association, support the downtown businesses, still have that community feel where we get together with the Auburn community and have a small version of our SummerNight event." 

The art walk consisted of art and food vendors such as Momma Mochas, Stamp and Chick Fil A, along with children's activities such as face painting and drawing with chalk. Aubie also made an appearance. 

This is the seventh annual SummerNight art walk, according to Cleckler. 

"Mainly we just want to emphasize that downtown is still swinging, we're still having everything open, we're still having events down for the community, just because there's construction doesn't mean that anything's changed," Cleckler said. 

Bill Payton, third-time SummerNight art walk vendor, has been making wooden bowls and decorative pieces for approximately six years. Payton said he is originally from Sylacauga.

"This is not business, this is a passion," Payton said. "I sell a lot of cracks and holes, as you can see, they make the pieces unique. I have some nice customers in Auburn, people that follow me from shows to show as far as, you know, Lake Martin, some people from here even come to my house and buy from me."

Payton said it takes him approximately six to nine months to make a wooden bowl. 

"A hobby turned into a passion, and a passion turned into an obsession," Payton said. 

Byron Williams, teacher at Auburn High School, started Decorative Metalworks with his wife two years ago as a "side cottage" business. 

"I like it better this year, because I can hear the music now," Williams said. "It was so spread out before." 

Williams said Decorative Metalworks are planning to attend the art walk in October selling their fall and Christmas pieces. 

One of the ceramic vendors, Ellen Klinger, senior in studio art focused in ceramics, said it was her first time at the SummerNight art walk. 

According to Klinger, she and fellow classmates displayed their ceramics pieces for sale.

"We're trying to make a profit off of what we're doing," Klinger said. "We're trying to get our names out there as well, so that people get to know us and the product that we're making."

Klinger said business was going well and expected it to continue despite the construction.

According to Klinger, the art walk wasn't as great because of the construction, and if it was downtown in the square, parking would be open. 

"People are out here, and they all found parking somewhere, so I guess it's pretty good, yeah," Klinger said. 

Downtown restaurants and businesses such as 17-16, The Pink Room, Yogafly and Mountain High Outfitters had specials and discounts to accommodate the citizens at the art walk. 

Share and discuss “Pop-up SummerNight Art Walk successful despite construction ” on social media.