Auburn Knights swing through the generations at reunion concert

The Auburn Knights Orchestra alumni bands of the 1970s-80s, 1990s-2000s and the current Auburn Knights played the night away at the second night of their 85th anniversary celebration Saturday, July 11. The Auburn Knights started in 1930, and have held reunions since 1956.

The first night featured bands from the 1930s-40s, 1950s and 1960s.

We're having a great time," said Fritz Siler, conductor of the 1970s-80s band. "We enjoy doing this so that we can support the scholarships for the students that come to the university here that are part of the Auburn Knights Orchestra."

The bands played a variety of tunes, from classics to modern hits to original compositions to a captive audience, while others danced on the dance floor.

Each band had a different theme. The '70s band's theme was Jazz Rocks, the '90s was Swing Makes a Comeback and the current band's was Still Swinging After 85 Years.

Jimmy McDade, current guitar player and recent graduate in professional and public writing, said upholding that tradition is an honor.

"It's just really cool to be a part of that history," McDade said.

McDade said the performance went well, and he enjoyed playing.

"We were feeling it, I think the crowd was feeling it, and I was having fun trading solos off with Jason over here," McDade said.

Siler played trombone during his two stints as an Auburn Knight, from 1965-67 and 1971-73. He said he was happy to see other Auburn Knights alumni and current members.

"It's a big family reunion," Siler said. "Everybody that's here is part of the Auburn Family."

Siler said it is "fantastic" to see younger people carrying on the tradition of the Auburn Knights.

"It's playing and enjoying playing together," Siler said.

McDade said performing in the same concert as past Auburn Knights was a "neat" experience.

"It's really neat, just knowing that most people in the crowd have been where you've been before, performing in front of everyone," McDade said. "So it's kind of nice, a little comforting."

Debbie Rose's son, Chris Rose, is a current member of the Auburn Knights. She said she enjoyed seeing her son participate in an 85-year-old tradition.

"It's just really neat to see the older generations teaching the new, and the new continue on the traditions," Rose said.

Siler said he wants younger generations to become involved in music of all types.

"Until you do it, you don't really know what it's about," Siler said. "But once you do it the first time, then you want to go back into it and find out more and more about how this whole thing works, how things are put together. How the music is put together."

Siler said the tradition was more than just playing together.

"We care about each other, we inspire each other to do more than just show up and play," Siler said.

Share and discuss “Auburn Knights swing through the generations at reunion concert” on social media.