Peaches for a purpose: Church holds peach festival for charity

It was all about peaches Saturday morning, July 18, at Trinity Lutheran Church.

The church sold peach pies, cobblers and peaches by the bag to benefit Love for the Least, a charity that event organizer Pat Schroer said touched her deeply when its missionaries visited a service.

"Our proceeds always go to charitable organizations," Schroer said. "And the peaches were chosen because Alabama, especially the lower half of it, is well-known for its peaches."

According to Schroer, Love for the Least provides health care and support for displaced Christians in Iraq. 

"When I saw pictures from the area they are working out of ... I went home and cried," Schroer said. "I have it good here, and I know that."

According to Schroer, the event was started more than 20 years ago by Norm and Hazel Klase as an outreach event. Norm said he organized for the first 12 years.

"We wanted the younger people to start getting involved real well with it," Hazel said.

Norm said the event has grown in the many years.

"Well it's better than the first one that we had," Norm said.

Schroer said the peaches were selling quickly this year. They had sold out of cobbler and all but three pies within one hour. Schroer said people could either come into the church to buy peach products or pick up a few peaches at the drive-through set up in front of the church.

Lowell Frobish, who attends Trinity Lutheran, was volunteering at the event. He said he thinks the Chilton County peaches was helping draw customers.

"People know Chilton County peaches," Frobish said.

Hazel said people still call them asking about the peach festival.

"I think it's a marvelous thing for the community," Hazel said.

Share and discuss “Peaches for a purpose: Church holds peach festival for charity” on social media.