Swimmers compete in Pan Am games in Toronto

Swim team members Beatriz Travalon and Luis Martinez qualified to compete in the swimming portion of the Pan American Games in Toronto from Tuesday, July 14-Saturday, July 18. 

According to the Pan American website, Pan Am is the world's third largest international multi-sport competition with 41 countries from Latin America, North America, the Caribbean and South America. 

Travalon is representing Brazil, and Martinez swims for Guatemala. 

"I'm really, really excited to be here," Travalon said. "It's my first big international swim meet." 

Other Auburn swimmers in the Games include: Arthur Mendes (Brazil), Breanna Roman (Jamaica), Annie Lazor (USA) and McKenna DeBever (Peru). 

Travalon and Martinez did not start competing until Wednesday, July 15, at 9 a.m. for the preliminary competition, and if they qualify they will compete at 5 p.m. 

"I [had] the first day to see the meet going on and see how everyone swims without having to swim, actually race," Travalon said. "I really like not racing the first day." 

Travalon competes in the 100 meter breaststroke, 200 breaststroke and 400 medley, and Martinez swam in the 200 freestyle Wednesday, July 15, and 100 butterfly Thursday, July 16.

Brett Hawke, swimming and diving coach, said the Games are a "huge event."

"It's really nice to watch them compete on the international stage," Hawke said. "It's something that we talk about with them when we're recruiting them. It's just the best feeling for a coach." 

After Martinez swam his event Wednesday morning, July 15, Hawke said he swam well on an event he doesn't usually compete in. 

"He did great," coach Hawke said. "He took three seconds off his best time, one of his off events. He doesn't usually swim the 200 freestyle and he dropped three seconds. (Thursday) he's got the 100 butterfly, and I think he's got a great chance to get up on the podium, and that would be huge for his home country of Guatemala." 

Travalon said she came to Auburn because Brazil's only Olympic swimming champion also went to Auburn. She also said it was an honor to be recruited by Auburn. 

"For us, going to Auburn is a really big deal," Travalon said. "The day Brett Hawke came talk to me at one of my nationals and he said, 'Hey, you swim really good. Do you want to come to Auburn?'"

Travalon said in preparing for the Games, she has matured in her swimming. 

"You can't be nervous," Travalon said. "You can't be underprepared or overprepared. You need to be just on that perfect spot where you swim fast. So that's what I've tried to learn."

Martinez said it's strange to be competing against his teammates and said one of his biggest rivals is Mendes.

"It's the pinnacle of our sport," coach Hawke said. "It's just a small step down from the Olympics that everybody is aiming for next year, but ultimately the kids that come and swim in our program in college hopefully have dreams and visions of seeing themselves in international competition."

Martinez said he has been preparing for the Games all year. 

He said he trained Monday-Wednesday for four hours, Tuesday and Thursday for two hours and Saturday mornings for two and a half hours. 

Travalon said swimming in Brazil is different than competing in the U.S. and said there isn't a "family feeling."

"Auburn is not just a team, it's a family, " Travalon said. "I didn't know that before I came to Auburn. I learn how to be a family instead of just a teammate." 

Hawke said it isn't unusual for members of the swim team to qualify for Pan Am. 

"This is kind of a right of passage for a lot of the kids," Hawke said. "It's just nice to carry on that tradition of excellence and see them compete." 

Share and discuss “Swimmers compete in Pan Am games in Toronto” on social media.