UPDATE: Time capsule to be buried downtown July 22

Auburn Art invites the Auburn community to participate in Preserve the Present, a time capsule being buried on July 22. 

Auburn Art, a gift shop in downtown Auburn, has joined with the city of Auburn for a project in downtown Auburn.

This time capsule will be placed under the ground of the new construction in downtown Auburn on July 22, and won't be dug up until the summer of 2065, a full 50 years from now. 

The invitation for this time capsule is extended to everyone in the Auburn Family. 

Cliff Hare, co-owner of Auburn Art, said people can bring a variety of small items.

"We want people to bring 4x6 pictures so that we can fit as many things as possible, notes or letters, championship tickets, autographed things, posters, just anything that will express how life is right now," Cliff said. 

Cliff also said the city would be donating a piece of the old orange paw print from downtown Auburn. 

David Dorton, director of public affairs for the City of Auburn, said this time capsule came at a great time for downtown Auburn and Toomer's Corner. 

"So much has changed in the past few years with the trees being poisoned and then replaced, I think it's a neat idea to not only preserve the past, but the present as well, seeing as we're about to launch toward the future," Dorton said. 

Emily Hare, co-owner of Auburn Art, said it is a good idea to memorialize recent ecents.

"From the moment I heard about the time capsule idea I had that 'well duh,' feeling," Emily said. "Especially since we've had so many cool things and events happen in the past few years." 

Emily also said the capsule will bring back memories when it is dug up.

"Everyone will open the time capsule up in 50 years thinking, 'Oh yeah I forgot about that,'" Emily said. 

Cliff agreed, and said he's sure everyone will get a good laugh at what our lives were like today. 

Dorton encouraged people to participate.

"This time capsule is capturing the Auburn community, so the more the community participates, the better it will be for the folks that open it," Dorton said.

Share and discuss “UPDATE: Time capsule to be buried downtown July 22” on social media.