Offensive linemen talk health and improvement

Auburn finished second in the SEC in rushing offense and total offense in 2014, but the offensive line thinks it can be even better this season.

Alex Kozan, an All-SEC guard in 2013, suffered a back injury before last season and was forced to sit out.

Kozan returned to practice in the spring after surgery and enters fall practice looking to pick up where he left off two years ago.

“I just need some reps,” Kozan said. “I need a couple of weeks of camp. It’s nice that we have four or five weeks before the season starts this year.”

Offensive tackle Shon Coleman, who started all 13 games on the line for Auburn in 2014, said he expects Kozan to return to form after his injury.

“He’s a strong kid,” Coleman said. “I know that he will bounce back and be just like he was in 2013, if not even better. We really are counting on him.”

Jordan Diamond, a backup on the offensive line, has missed time in the last two seasons because of injury.

Kozan said Diamond is healthy again and could contribute to the offensive line this season.

“(Diamond) has time to develop over these couple of weeks of camp,” Kozan said. “Jordan has had kind of a rougher go than me; he’s been injured a couple of times. I think Jordan, once he gets fully out there, we’ll see some great things from him too.”

The offensive line will return four players who have started games at Auburn. Kozan and Coleman are joined by guard Devonte Danzey and tackle Avery Young.

The one new face will be Austin Golson, the projected replacement for departed center Reese Dismukes.

Golson sat out last season after transferring to Auburn from Ole Miss, where he played in 12 games as a true freshman in 2013.

Kozan said he believes Golson will fit right in with the group of returning starters for the Tigers.

“Austin’s a really athletic kid, and he’s smart too,” Kozan said. “He’s going to make a great center for us. The more reps we get together the better we’re going to be together.”

The NCAA requires teams to go through two practices with helmets only and two more with helmets and shoulder pads only before full pads can be put on.

Coleman said it is tough for the linemen to practice without full contact drills, but the focus is on getting better, regardless of the practice format.

“It’s hard on us; we want to get out there and bang a little bit,” Coleman said. “But we’re just helping each other out. We’re getting better at the same time, with or without pads.”

Coleman said he feels much more comfortable going into this season compared to last season.

“I feel a lot more confident,” Coleman said. “Last year it was my first year starting in five years so there’s some things that I’ve worked on this offseason. I just feel a lot more comfortable and confident in my game.”

Kozan and Coleman both said a leader has yet to emerge on the offensive line, but that is something they expect to happen in fall camp.

“All of us are trying to get each other better,” Coleman said. “I haven’t really seen any clear leaders. … Avery (Young), he’s a guy who speaks up a lot. He’s a guy with a lot of experience.”

Auburn will put its new starting five on the field for the first time against Louisville on Sept. 5.

Share and discuss “Offensive linemen talk health and improvement” on social media.