OPINION: Being a double major is worth the hassle

Auburn University is a challenging school, and it can be hard to balance the work of just one major, so many people are confused as to why I have two. 

The simple answer is that I am interested in both subjects. I am double majoring in Biomedical Science and History. I think history is critical to really understand the world as well as modern politics, but I am not planning on using my history major as part of my career. 

I hope to use science in my day-to-day work, however, I do think that I will still use my history degree throughout my life in other ways.

The most obvious challenge of being a double major is time management. To finish school as quickly as possible I have had to take 16-18 hours every semester. Lots of classes means lots of studying, but having two different focuses can help make studying less monotonous.

The classes also have different dynamics. My history classes are small and more discussion based, while my science classes are much larger and lecture focused. These two types of teaching promote different types of learning and thinking. 

Having majors that seem to be opposites challenges me to think differently which allows me to approach problems and questions differently.

Another one of my favorite parts about being a double major is meeting totally new people in my classes. It is refreshing to interact with people who have different goals and think of things in a different way than you do.

Majoring in more than one subject is not for everyone, but if there are multiple things you are passionate about I would advise you to go for it. 

I am genuinely interested in both my science and history classes, and could not be happier with my decision to major in both. 

Having two majors has made me better at time management, a more critical thinker, as well as a more empathetic person. 

Even if you don’t directly use your other major in your future job, it will broaden your horizons and give you a different perspective on both schoolwork and life.

Share and discuss “OPINION: Being a double major is worth the hassle” on social media.