SCAVMA hosts Tails and Trails 5K

Scavma hosts tails and trails 5k

Many tails were wagging for a cause Saturday morning, Aug. 22, as the Student Chapter of American Veterinarian Medical Association hosted its first Tails and Trails 5K and fun run at Town Creek Park.

Proceeds from the walk will be donated to the Walk to End Alzheimer’s, which will take place in Auburn in October.

The 5K race started at 7:30 a.m. and the 1-mile fun run toke place around 7:40 a.m.

Participants had the option to bring their dog to the event, as long as the dog was on a leash.

According to Rachel Maloney, president of the Auburn SCAVMA, the event raised about $1,500.

There were about 140 participants signed up the night before the event and approximately 20 signed up the day of.

This was the first Tails and Trails 5K but Maloney said she hopes to make it annual.

SCAVMA worked with Auburn-Opelika Running and Track Association to put on the event.

While the event went smoothly, Maloney said in the future, she would prepare for more last minute signups.

After the race, runners were treated to snacks and door prizes and awards were given out.

“Yeah, I’m really excited that we have this 5K that allows us to run with our dogs,” said Ashley Sharpe, third-year veterinary medicine student and community service officer of SCAVMA.

Sharpe ran with mixed breed dogs Izzie and Andi. She rescued both of them from a shelter.

Sam Sechler, graduate student in animal sciences, ran with her dog Rowdy, who is also a rescue.

“He did great” Sechler said.

Jeremy Page, sophomore in exercise science, won the male division, with a time of 18 minutes and 15 seconds. Anthony Davis, veterinary medicine student, and Tyler Tanaka came in second and third, respectively.

Leslie Starnes, third-year veterinary medicine student, won the female division with a time of 20 minutes 25 seconds. Adriana Rodriguez came in second and Rebekah Green, veterinary medicine student, came in third.

Share and discuss “SCAVMA hosts Tails and Trails 5K” on social media.