Tigers settling position battles, developing chemistry as fall camp begins

Football's back: Tigers begin fall practice

Head coach Gus Malzahn celebrates during the Tigers' victory over Arkansas. (Contributed by Auburn Athletics)

Auburn began fall practice on Tuesday, Aug. 4, in preparation for a season with high expectations.

Several position battles have emerged early in fall camp, while players at positions where starters are already decided have focused on improvement and developing chemistry with their teammates.

One player in the latter category is quarterback Jeremy Johnson.

After serving two years as Nick Marshall’s backup, Johnson won the starting job in spring practice and has emerged as a leader on the team.

The junior has garnered national attention in the preseason, appearing on the preseason All-SEC second team along with numerous preseason award watch lists.

Coach Gus Malzahn said the coaching staff has full confidence in Johnson’s abilities to lead the offense.

“He’s got a lot of reps with the [first team] and had to prepare like he was the starter a lot of times in the last two years and he played very well,” Malzahn said. “I think he’s got a very good grasp of the offense.”

Senior receiver Ricardo Louis said Johnson’s accuracy gives the receivers an opportunity to make big plays in the passing game.

“I’ve seen him make some throws that I’ve never seen any quarterback make,” Louis said. “Right on the money, every time.”

While Johnson is a lock at quarterback, his partner in the backfield is yet to be determined.

Four players are vying for the starting job at running back, including returners Roc Thomas and Peyton Barber, junior college transfer Jovon Robinson and freshman Kerryon Johnson.

Malzahn plans to give the backs equal reps in fall practice until a clear number one threat emerges.

“The good thing is we’ve got options and guys we feel good about,” Malzahn said. “I think that’s the best thing. You can never have enough running back depth.”

Depth may not be an issue at running back, but it certainly could be in the secondary, where Auburn struggled a year ago.

Graduate transfer Blake Countess was an All-Big Ten player at Michigan and will be counted on to make a big impact in his one and only year on the Plains along with Tray Matthews, who will likely start at safety after sitting out last season following his transfer from Georgia.

Returning starters Jonathan Jones and Johnathan Ford were both named to preseason All-SEC teams at SEC Media Days in July, and Joshua Holsey was a contributor in 2014 who is expected to take on a larger role.

With cornerback T.J. Davis out through at least August while recovering from an ACL injury, unproven players such as Stephen Roberts, Nick Ruffin, Tim Irvin and Carlton Davis will be counted on provide depth on the back end of Auburn’s defense.

The secondary may not be the Tigers’ strongest position group, but the defense as a whole shined in Auburn’s first fall scrimmage on Monday, Aug. 10.

Auburn’s offense failed to score a touchdown in the 90-play scrimmage, which focused mostly on the running game.

Malzahn was excited to see the defense bring a new energy and physicality under new coordinator Will Muschamp.

“[The defense] flat got after the offense,” Malzahn said. “We hadn’t had any scrimmages since I’ve been the head coach that we’ve had a dominant defensive performance like that.”

Auburn’s second scrimmage of the fall will be held on Saturday, Aug. 15, and will feature more passing, according to Malzahn. The Tigers will then practice on Sunday, Aug. 16, before taking Monday, Aug. 17, off for the first day of fall classes.

Share and discuss “Tigers settling position battles, developing chemistry as fall camp begins” on social media.