EDITORIAL: Reality will eventually stump Trump

Donald Trump can be described as a real estate developer, TV personality, television producer, film producer, author, actor, businessman, economist, investor and now, 2016 presidential candidate.

In fact, out of the other Republican nominees, Trump has been consistently leading the race.

Why does Trump as president seem so attractive to U.S. citizens? 

Meg McGuffin, recent graduate of Auburn University, former Miss Auburn University and Miss Alabama 2015, was asked this same question Sunday night at the 2016 Miss America Pageant. 

“I think Donald Trump is an entertainer, and I think he says what’s on a lot of peoples’ minds, but I think that the Republican Party should be absolutely terrified of all the attention that he is taking from incredible candidates ...” McGuffin said. 

We couldn’t agree more with her response. 

Yes, many people are tired of the nation’s current political state, but he is simply appealing to what people want to hear through his ridiculous claims. 

Furthermore, many of these claims that resonate within people are policies that would be impossible to implement. 

For example, concerning his opinion on immigration, Trump made reference that if he were president, he would make Mexico build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, which Mexico would be responsible for financially. 

On his campaign website, there is no information regarding how he would go about doing so. 

While this seems like an easy solution to a difficult and controversial issue, he offers no plausible immigration policy here. 

We are not necessarily for or against Donald Trump’s political affiliations or beliefs, but we do believe that his campaign lacks depth. 

We also believe current Trump supporters should take into consideration if Trump were to win the Republican Party nomination, he would likely not win the election against the Democratic candidate because not enough people voting in the general election would take him seriously. 

However, in the unlikely event Trump were to win the general election and become president of the United States, because much of what he stands for seems impulsive and extreme, he would likely have difficulty getting his policies passed by Congress. 

As with any election, voters should be aware of and informed about all candidates and what they stand for individually. 

We think this is the most effective way to know, understand and recognize realistic solutions and policies, and in that process, weed out unfit candidates.  

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL: Reality will eventually stump Trump” on social media.