Auburn Public Safety Department will kick off annual Toy Drive

The City of Auburn Public Safety Department will kick off its annual toy drive on Tuesday, Oct. 6.

Capt. Lorenza Dorsey said the goal of the toy drive is to be able to provide needy families with toys for their children, so those families that need assistance can have something for their kids to wake up to on Christmas morning.

The toy drive is orchestrated by the police and fire divisions of the Public Safety Department.

Fire Chief John Lankford said the toy drive is just a small way the fire department can help the less fortunate children in the community.

“The community really helps with this event by bringing the gifts and volunteering,” Lankford said. “The firehouses are the drop-off points, and we help deliver the gifts. The toy drive is a group effort for the greater good.”

The Auburn Public Safety Department has been holding this toy drive for 35 years.

“A lot of times, people see law enforcement in a negative way,” Dorsey said. “We like for the community to see public safety giving back to the community and helping the community in ways other than dealing with tragedy. The toy drive allows the community to see the police and fire departments in a positive way.”

Dorsey said the toy drive has grown drastically because of how generous the Auburn community is.

“We are very fortunate to be in this community, because they contribute so much,” Dorsey said. “Last year, we had just an abundance of toys. We are the ones who put things together and deliver the toys, but it is the community that really gets behind this event and making it a success.”

Anyone wishing to register a child for the Toy Drive can do so starting Oct. 6 at the Auburn Police Division.

Anyone wishing to donate a toy to the toy drive can drop it off at the Auburn Police Division or any of the Auburn Fire Division locations. The donated gifts should be unwrapped.

For more information visit www.auburnalabama.org.

Share and discuss “Auburn Public Safety Department will kick off annual Toy Drive” on social media.