Greenspace goes pink for 'All In, All Pink' event

Pink accents adorned the Student Center Greenspace as students and community members gathered for the fifth annual “All In, All Pink” event.

From 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., students and community members heard guests speakers, received free t-shirts and food and watched performances by the AU Gospel Choir and Auburn cheerleaders.

The Vice President for University Outreach, in conjunction with the Office of Public Service and the Kappa Chi Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. hosted this year’s event.

Jasmyne Pollard, “All in, All Pink” director and junior in industrial and systems engineering, said the event is the largest breast cancer awareness event at Auburn.

“For me personally, it’s not really about how many people that come,” Pollard said. “It’s about how many people are touched by the event and how many people you know can come and support breast cancer and see what this event is really about.”

Pollard said this year they wanted to focus particularly on donations.

By donating online through the GoFundMe campaign or dropping funds into one of the pink boxes at the event, people could support research  at the Cancer Center of East Alabama.

Attending the event for the second time, Tionna Plummer, junior in human development and family studies, said the event has a different meaning for her since she’s had family members pass away because of breast cancer.

“I feel like when it’s something personal to you it has a different effect because nobody really knows that feeling of losing someone to cancer,” Plummer said. “I think what they’re doing is the only thing that we as student can really do. We’re raising the awareness of breast cancer.”

Joyce Thomas-Vinson, coordinator for Service Learning and Student Engagement, said “All In, All Pink” is another facet of the Office of Public Service’s foundational goals.

“This event is just one of those ways that we try to help improve quality of life by increasing awareness for breast cancer,” Thomas-Vinson said. “One of the keys to surviving breast cancer and defeating it is being aware, early detection, early action.”

The organizers honored about 15 breast cancer survivors with scarves during the event and concluded the program by releasing a mass of pink balloons in honor of all affected by breast cancer.

Share and discuss “Greenspace goes pink for 'All In, All Pink' event ” on social media.