2015 in review: March

ThePlainsman.com is taking a look back at 2015 month by month as we head into 2016.

Here are the biggest stories from March:

Desmonte Leonard asked for a new trial

After being convicted of capital murder in the shooting deaths of two former Auburn football players, Desmonte Leonard's requested a retrial. Leonard's attorneys claimed parts of the jury selection were flawed in the previous trial.

University sends safety reminder in Lauren Burk's memory

This year marked the seven-year anniversary of the death of Lauren Burk, a freshman who was abducted and murdered March 4, 2008.

Bernard LaFayette tells story of the beginning of Civil Rights in Selma

The Rev. Bernard LaFayette Jr., one of the key leaders in the Civil Rights Movement, told his story at the Tuskegee History Center. LaFayette encouraged people to go to Selma, Alabama, to hear President Barak Obama speak.

President Obama spoke to thousands in Selma

President Barak Obama spoke on the 50-year anniversary of Bloody Sunday about the journey that was made across the Edmund Pettus Bridge and of the progress that still needs to be made in the United States.

Mike Lutzenkirchen spoke to students during 'Lessons from Lutz'

With his wife and three daughters in attendance, Mike Lutzenkirchen shared stories and lessons from his son Philip, a popular former Auburn football player who passed away in 2014 after a drunken driving accident.

Nick Jonas was announced to join Kesha and Nelly at Auburn Airwaves

“I think the response is going to be insane,” said UPC President Amanda Hurite. “Nick Jonas is really relevant right now. He’s a lot of fun, and I think people are really excited about it.”

Men's basketball makes it to the SEC Tournament

For the first time since 2000, the Auburn basketball team won back-to-back games in the SEC Tournament. KT Harrell was named to the SEC All-Tournament team and helped the Tigers win in the quarterfinals against Louisiana State University. However, Auburn's tournament run ended with a loss against No. 1 Kentucky. Harrell was also named to the AP All-SEC Second Team.

No. 7 Auburn gymnastics defeats North Carolina on Senior Night

Auburn climbed to No. 7 nationally in the Regional Qualifying Score rankings with an RQS of 197.020, the highest in program history. In their final home, regular season meet, the Auburn seniors were sent off with a 197.100-194.025 win over North Carolina. The team was also selected as the No. 2 seed in NCAA Regional.

Magnolia Avenue closes to straighten Oak

The newly planted Magnolia Oak was adjusted and repositioned after its original planting Feb. 14. Ben Burmester, campus planner with the Office of University Architect, said the tree settled with a slight lean. He also said it is not uncommon for trees to settle after they've been planted.

Ku Klux Klan delivers recruiting notes weighed down by rocks

Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan fliers were distributed to many residents of the Auburn area. Residents reported finding fliers promoting the Klan who called themselves “a pro-White, Christian organization."

“We are just White men and women who unapologetically stand up for White people,” the flier said.

Softball makes history with top-10 ranking

For the first time in the program’s history, Auburn made the first top-10 ranking with their 26-2 record.

Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine building paves over snake habitat

Sharon Hermann, assistant professor of biological sciences, wrote in her field notes recording her undergraduate students spotting the snakes four times between Oct. 28, 2012, and June 30, 2013. The eastern kingsnake is a protected species in the state of Alabama, according to Craig Guyer, professor of biological sciences and the herpetologist who positively identified the snakes found by the students.

Read about February 2015 here

Share and discuss “2015 in review: March ” on social media.