Art department to hold salon sale at Fieldwork Projects

The Auburn University department of art and art history will hold a salon sale starting Thursday, Dec 3. at Fieldwork Projects, an extension gallery of the University. 

According to Allyson Comstock, professor and department chair, the artwork in the sale are products of students, faculty and alumni. She said all students are open to put their work up for sale. 

Comstock said this sale serves as a fundraiser for the gallery. She also said the artists will receive a portion of the profit from their work. 

"It's a way for us to feature what's happening creatively in the studios in the department," Comstock said.

Different art media will be present at the sale including ceramic works, prints and paintings. 

"We're looking for a really broad range of work hopefully so that when somebody comes in to buy art they fall in love with a piece," Comstock said. 

The sale opens Thursday night, Dec. 3 from 5-8 p.m. for a sneak preview, according to Comstock. 

She said there will be food and an opening reception. 

Comstock also said the sale will be open Friday, Dec. 4 and Saturday, Dec. 5 from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. 

The gallery will be open in the following weeks before Christmas, where Comstock said some of the artwork will still be on sale. 

Catherine Root, senior in fine arts, said she will be selling Italia prints, a printmaking process where you etch into a plate and then print the etching into a copper plate. 

Root said there's not another outlet for studio art in Auburn or even a gallery to buy artwork, so it is helpful to have Fieldwork Projects. 

"Especially ceramics and printmaking and there's, the university is really the only place in town that has facilities where you can make things like that," Root said. 

Root said she sells work in the sale every year. In previous years Root said she sold paintings, ceramics and drawings. 

"We always get a really wide range of people and reactions to the different stuff that's there," Root said. "There's a lot of different people that usually end up coming to that sale ... a lot of different types of art or art about a lot of different things, or subjects, that so, that's always a nice interplay between public and what's for sale there." 

Danielle Long, senior in fine arts with a painting and sculpture concentration, said she has eight or nine prints in the salon sale this year. 

"It's my first time taking a printmaking class so a lot of these were testers or experiments that I was happy with, I thought were successful, but I kind of made a surplus and it felt like a good idea to maybe try and sell some," Long said. 

Long said some of her prints focused around her pet chicken when she was younger and her other prints center around color and patterns of nature contrasting with manmade patterns. 

Share and discuss “Art department to hold salon sale at Fieldwork Projects ” on social media.