The Dixie Chicks to tour for first time in 10 years

After a decade, the Dixie Chicks have announced their North American tour, DCX MMXVI. The tour announcement video, originally released Nov. 16 on Twitter, raised eyebrows all over the U.S. and has left many wondering what is in store for the tour beginning June 1, 2016.

“Just when you thought you were safe, America ... We’re back,” the Dixie Chicks said in their announcement video. “It’s been 10 years since we’ve toured the U.S. There’s no telling what will happen this time.”

While planning the tour, the group was unsure if it would be welcomed to perform in the U.S. following the negative response toward its comments about former President George W. Bush on stage in London.

Olivia Whatley, senior in human development and family studies, said she thinks the tour will be successful, despite their last one.

“It’s been long enough, and there are other things going on in the world to worry about now,” Whatley said. “I think the tour will go well.”

At the concert on March 10, 2003, Natalie Maines, the lead vocalist for the group, made a controversial comment against Bush concerning the war in Iraq.

“Just so you know, we’re on the good side with y’all,” Maines said. “We don’t want this war, this violence, and we’re ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas.”

This comment created a whirlwind of problems in the U.S. for the trio, causing the Dixie Chicks to cancel all previously planned U.S. tours.

Country music stars, including Reba McEntire, Toby Keith and Merle Haggard outwardly rebuked the group for its controversial statement.

Having little support from the country music industry, the three musicians were left on their own. However, Bush responded to the band.

“The Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind,” Bush told the Huffington Post in 2003. “They shouldn’t have their feelings hurt just because some people don’t want to buy their records when they speak out ... Freedom is a two-way street.”

Maines stood beside her statement at first, explaining her reasoning.

“I feel the president is ignoring the opinions of many in the U.S. and alienating most of the world,” Maines said in response to the situation.

Album sales started to plummet, and tickets sales slowed. Maines released an apologetic statement, reminding people she was still a dedicated American.

“I love my country,” Maines said. “I am a proud American.” This was one of the last statements made concerning the situation.

The documentary, “Dixie Chicks: Shut Up and Sing,” was released in 2006. The film showcased the many years of backlash that came after the incident. Physical threats, scrutiny from fans and hatred from trusted colleagues in country music were a few of the instances covered in the film.

The final response to the widely negative reaction toward Maines’s comment was the release of the single, “Not Ready To Make Nice,” in 2006. This song added fuel to the fire as it showed the three standing behind their beliefs. The song was a hit and won three Grammy Awards. After 10 years, the Dixie Chicks are back and ready to take the road again in the United States.

Katherine Barker, junior in psychology, said she is still a big fan of the Dixie Chicks’ music.

“I listened to them the whole way home for Thanksgiving break,” Barker said. “I love their music, and I’m glad they are touring the U.S. again.”

The tour, which includes 40 shows, has sold thousands of tickets after the group’s Twitter announcement.

Jordan Greer, sophomore in communication disorders, said she is looking forward to the show.

“I’m looking to get tickets for the Nashville show,” Greer said. “I’m so excited to see them perform. It’s something I don’t want to miss.”

Share and discuss “The Dixie Chicks to tour for first time in 10 years ” on social media.